CPU speed jumps from 2.8 Ghz to 1.0 Ghz

dpfinland

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Hello.
My problem is when i play a game like TF2 it starts to lag usually when there is alot of actions and explosions. when it was on default clock 2.3 Ghz there was a bit less lag in big places with alot of action.
I read almost all threads and none have helped me.
Edit: So here is some more specifications.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 +4400 Brisbane 2.3 Ghz Overclocked to 2.8 Ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card
4 GB of DDR2 RAM
MSI Motherboard Nvidia nForce 520 Chipset and Southbridge
BIOS is from American Megatrends V2.1

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
being that you are experiencing this issue during heavy video related activity, going to need more info than just your CPU - PSU, Mobo, Ram, and of course... wait for it... vid card

arges86

Distinguished
Even though the game is built on the Source Engine, which came out back in 2004. Its probably taxing your equipment. If you haven't upgraded your graphics card since you bought your CPU (which came out in 2005) it could be to much for old hardware to handle.
Make sure temperatures are not an issue, your hardware could be throttling itself to protect it form overheating.
Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ is a great CPU stress test
Furmark http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ is a great CPU stress test.

combine those with a temperature monitoring software like SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
and you can try to figure out what is happening to your system.

But again, as Buzz247 pointed out, we can only guess until we know your whole system.

dpfinland

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Alright, so i tried to stress the CPU with Prime95 and i got a sudden blue screen. I don't know how to use it, help would be appreciated. Speed fan did cool down my CPU like 10% The temperature is now 60C.
By upgrading Graphics card do you mean by buying a new one?

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Your graphics card is fair to handle it, but not overly capable. since it is a dual DVI card, IF you are running dual monitor while playing the game it can tax the system. Shut down the 2nd port while playing (i.e. fullscreen not windowed mode) Also, depending on resolution you are running at, may be causing issue. To rule this out, try reducing screen res, anti-aliasing features and texture features in the game. either way, I would reccomend a GPU upgrade replacement at this point - You system will support a PCI-e 2.0 x16 interface. Could easily upgrade to HD 5000 series for 90-160 bucks - get at least 1 GB DDR card.

NOW... the Prime95 BSOD.... oh boy. You have a definite stability issue. Try resetting clocking and voltage in steps until you can run Prime 95 stable at minimum 4-6hours. personally I run stress test 20-24 as most OC'ers do.

You very well might have a cooling issue. Remember, when addressing cooling, it's not just the main chip you need to worry about, especially when OC'd. voltage regs get very hot while OC'ing. does your case have sufficient airflow? are you running positive pressure in the case? Are cables managed and not impeding air flow? Anything covering or blocking voltage reg heatsinks around the CPU from getting proper cooling? Do you have a wicked case of attack of the dust bunnies from hell? Any of your fans humming or chattering indicating failing bearings and reduced performance? Have you checked the cooling of your vid card as well for same issues?

want to rule out vid card? reduce CPU to stock performance and run game. If lag still exists, ram or vid card. Rule out ram with Memtest86 download. Run Prime95 at stock values of CPU - If still BSOD'ing, but maintaining temp stability, you have a failing processor.

At first look - if dropping like that, arges mostly like hit on the main issue - temperature throttling. Question is, what is suddenly causing it. combined with Prime95 results, cooling is a major issue, and may have done permanent damge

arges86

Distinguished
So Prime95 website has some great forums on how to run the program...
but if it Blue Screens immediately, that is a huge issue.
I would run Speed Fan before Prime95 and keep it running through out the stress test to see how high temperatures get.
If its temperature issues, then you can try re-seating your cpu cooler, applying new thermal paste to see if you can get the temperatures down.
Prime95 only stresses the CPU, so i wouldn't even bother messing with anything else until you can get that stable

dpfinland

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I finally fixed the CPU jumping from Gigahertz to Gigahertz by updating the BIOS.
Thanks for helping guys! :D
It also does not lag anymore, i can play TF2 really smoothly and my CPU Temp is under 40C :)