CPU Overclocking: can't get passed 3.6 ghz stable?

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
soup guise

soo here's the deal.

I can overclock to 3.8ghz and it runs stable for a little while at 33 C in all cores

all fine and dandy, the BOOM blue screen, dumping to disk, restart computer (ect.)

So I'm back at 3.6 ghz now and seeing how this is not a temp issue, what could be the problem?

arges86

Distinguished
Memory...
Motherboard...
PSU...

All these factor in to a high overclock.
Remember though, that just because Toms Hardware was able to overclock a CPU to 4.2Ghz, doesn't mean that every single processor can hit those marks.
Every CPU that comes off the assembly line is a little different and will therefore behave slightly different when you are pushing it.

I've seen some CPUs only go 10 Mhz past their rated speed, and others go 1Ghz (same model and stepping). So sometimes it just boils down to the luck of the die that you got in your processor.

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

what can allow me to overclock it farther without it going to a bluescreen everytime i boot up?

arges86

Distinguished
Well, the higher you push the clock rate, the hotter it gets...
so you may need more cooling.

You can also try upping you vcore (usually by the smallest increment possible) to see if it brings back stability.
If your power supply is weak, it may not be supplying enough constant voltage to the CPU

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

yeah but I'm idling 35 c, so its not temp related. I have a 750watt psu, so its not that.

I have 8gbs of ram, soo that isn't an issue

and I have a new gigabyte mobo that still costs $130 (forget the exact name)

I really want to OC farther and buy a liquid cooler, but if I can't OC past 3.8 on a non temp related problem then there's no point :/

arges86

Distinguished
so, the amount of RAM doesn't mean anything when it comes to Ocing
its the quality of the RAM, and its frequency.
I usually down clock my RAM to 8-8-8-8-24 timings before i begin to OC the processor, so that i'm sure it doesn't cause any stability issues (increasing the FSB also increases the speed of the memory).

Also, what CPU do you have?
Some models just can't get pushed as high?
Does it have an unlocked Multiplier?

Again, if you haven't changed the CPUs voltage, that may be holding you back.
What temperature is your CPU reaching when its being pushed to 100% ?
Idle temperature doesn't mean much if it reaches 100 c if your stressing it fully

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
there is a simple rule for overclocking "first learn and then do"

follow these steps
1. know your system
2. search google and read overclocking related guide related to your setup
3. then try overclocking

idle temps are in no way shows the stability of an overclocked system
35'c idle is high indeed (25'c is normal)

for a start, look over here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259903-29-overclocking-benchmarking-guides
or here
www.google.com

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Ahh finally fixed it (I think) . I had to set my voltage to 1.35, I've using my computer all day after that and played BF3 and I've had no crashes so far.

My temps when at 100% load was 55 C. I think I'm good now, Thanks for the help everybody :)