Best Graphics Card for my System without Bottle Necking?

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hi, im wondering what is the best graphics card i can get for my system as i don't have the money to buy a new Rig, but i have the money to buy some new parts.

My System Specs At the moment are:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
CPU: Intel Socket 775 Q9505
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master EVO
Graphics Cards: Ati 5750 Crossfire
PSU: NZXT 500w
Hardrives: Seagate 1tb, Samsung 120gb SSD

Malinak05

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
If you are for AMD, HD7870 shoud be the best set-up for your system. I wouldn't buy more powerful gpu because your cpu would bottleneck it eventually, even though it's quadcore (but pretty old).
About nVidia, GTX660 would do about the same performance.

How much do you want to spend on gpu?

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Hi,
Well i want to spend arround $550 NZD. I was looking at the EVGa 660 Ti and was planning on maybe doing a PSU upgrade as well.

mace200200

Honorable
660ti will be bottlenecked, you could go for it anyway though, and look at upgrading your CPU in the future. As for your PSU, I'm not finding any NZXT 500w so I'm thinking it's probably not a good unit. Upgrading your PSU with your new graphics card is probably not a bad idea.

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Hi,
I don't really want to be a pain in the ass but im not entirely sure what bottle necking actually does? But do you think the 660 Ti would till be a good choice well with a new PSU as well?

Malinak05

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Bottlenecking is a situation when one component - piece of hardware - is "slowing" the other ones (i.e. your cpu is good but kind of old - add a new gpu and here comes a bottleneck).

Get the GTX660. If you're planning a whole pc upgrade in the near future, go for GTX660ti (for the money you wanted). Your Q9505 wouldn't catch up with it so it would be pretty much pointless.
NZXT 500W is not exactly one of the "trusted" brands - the first upgrade after buying your gpu has to be a new psu (also 500W minimum).

mohit9206

Distinguished
no the 660ti is not a very good choice. id suggest the 660 non ti or the 7850. anything more powerful will be bottlenecked by your cpu. bottlenecking is basically when your graphics card is not able to perform at its highest because its being held back by your weak cpu.

@DigitalVenom: What is the resolution of your display? This is importaint to balance out the choice of graphics card, as the resolution increases the card has to work harder and needs to be more powerful.
NZXT are not the best quality of powersupply makers, but they're not deadly poor either, just check it has enough PCI-E power leads to run any card you choose to install, do NOT use so called 'Y' adaptors.

mace200200

Honorable
NZXT makes some decent PSU's I don't believe his is one of them though just because it's not listed. You don't really want to be running a 660Ti off 500w anyway. Wither your get a 660, 7870, or anything higher (which will be bottlenecked) just depends if you feel like spending some more money on a better CPU in the future.

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The Resolution i use at the moment is 1600 x 900

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks everyone for the reply's but i can't upgrade my CPU snice its a Socket 775 and they don't make or sell many of them anymore. I can't get a new CPU unless i upgrade my motherboard to Socket 1155 and then buy new ram and another CPU.

The full upgrade is an expensive option and I know money's tight all around, we're all feeling the hurt there so do n't beat yourself up over it, mate.
Yes, it's an older system but it DOES have a quad CPU, and although thje 9505 was the weakest overclocker of that generation it may be worth your while to get a cheap aftermarket cooler and try your hand at pushing it a little harder.
I'm not sure how well a pair of 5750s' perform so before making a decision, check out some reviews and see how the cards you're considering compare with the perfromance you r'e already seeing.
Remember, the review settings are usually maxed out and a more powerful card will tend to show its superiority most at higher settings-especially if AA is enabled as this is always a weakness in cards with a 128 bit memory bus.
Top money goes for the GTX660 (non Ti) or the HD7870 with the GTX650Ti/HD7850 coming in second, I think anything lower is likely to be a waste of money-any performance gains will be fairly small, you'll just get a quieter system that draws less power.

DigitalVenom

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks Coozie i actually already have an aftermarket cooler on in my system its a "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO" but i really don't have the knowledge to overclock my CPU ive tried but i really need someone to give me step by step instructions or just help me while im overclocking.

mace200200

Honorable
If your CPU is unlocked all you have to do is bump up the multiplier in the BIO's, I can't remember off hand if your CPU is unlocked or not though. If it's not it can still be done, just not near as easily. You have a great Cooler by the way, it'll handle OCing just fine.

^ You could do worse than taking a look at Toms Overclcocking Forum to get started.
do n't forget to read the stickies, mate.
I do n't think the Q9505 has an unlocked multiplier it'll overclock using the FSB (you'll see what I mean as you begin your research).