Windows 8 > Metro Interface > Great Interface or the Greatest Interface ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 8 > Metro Interface > Great Interface or the Greatest Interface ?

Gentlemen?

Perhaps it's server error, but mine can't possibly be the first thread in this subforum on customization of Windows 8.

I don't use Windows 8 but I was surprised to see that this subforum was not pages of threads started by those at least curious if not desperate to change the Metro interface.

My surprise is due to reading several articles concerning poor sales of Windows 8- so abysmally poor that in some markets, MS is giving away Office as an incentive. MS giving away- it must be the Mayan apocalypse being released three Months later than advertised! While there is, logically, talk of businesses and individuals simply not wanting to spend and learn Windows 8, Metro, and specifically the lack of the start button has been blamed on it's it's own for making sales of Windows 8 actually slower at this point - four months after launch- than the previously most dreaded MS OS- Vista.

I am not going to be buying Windows 8. For one thing, my 27" monitor could never contain all the huge Metro icons I would need (74)- as it is with Windows 7 icons, there's very little open desktop space already. Plus, I object to what I call "Fuzzy Bears"- cartoons always trying to "help" me or automate and/or animate everything. "You appear to be trying to make a Solidworks assembly of 6,000 parts. Here are 447 templates and a 256 minute video on how to make a new folder." I would never get a thing done if I let Adobe updating alone run. When I'd had CS4 for some time, an update popup appeared. I naively allowed updating to download and install and the update was 998MB! Adobe spends more time updating than I do using it.

Besides terminal cuteness > there's another reason to avoid fuzzy bears. when I ran my Dell Precision T5400 on Passmark Performance Test (7.0) using a Windows 7 Aero theme, it had an overall rating of 1815, changing only to Windows 7 Basic Theme- 2239! Typical of MS, the Basic Theme is purposely made a nasty institutional baby blue with decorative gradient to try and force those given the gift of sight, to use performance hogging Aero. Of course, Windows 7 Basic theme is the only desktop since Windows 3.1 that can't change colors! You don't like Aero? MS has ways of making you love it. Look how they made you love Internet Explorer- if you delete it, Windows won't run!

Small wonder why so many people use Linux!

Interestingly, as I googleyed Metro, at least one third of the screen-shot images showed a Windows 7-like start button and taskbar. Knowing MS, who tend to use marketing as bulldozer to sweep up accidental spills- never admitting things aren't perfect or that customers don't love, love, love everything, must not have given in to criticism. Are those Start buttons a customization by enthusiasts? As most reading this suggests having or are considering using Window 8, how important was the Metro interface in your purchase? How many have gone to a Start Button/taskbar ?

Cheers,

BambiBoom

[Dell Precision T5400 , 2X Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz, 16GB DDR2-667, Quadro FX 4800, WD RE4 500 / Segt Brcda 500 , Windows 7 Ultimate 64 > Basic Theme]

cbay

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not too happy about windows 8 either, but i ran into a deal i can't pass up on a laptop that has 8. We shall see. It will arrive this week and then the fun begins...........
If all goes well and i find settings that work well for me i will post the setup here. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.