New Build Advice

McSTOUT

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hey guys, really need to know in general if: a) these components work well with each other and b) if there are any ways to cut cost on this build? I was hoping to stay under 1300 but this build seems to be going over a bit...

I will be using it as a HTPC for gaming and online streaming content so no monitor keyboard or mouse is needed (hooking up to my Denon receiver). I also am a graphic designer so it will get some use with the ol' Adobe Creative Suites as well.

Any advice is much appreciated!

• ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77
• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
• i5-3570K
• Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
• SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB SSD
• Western Digital Scorpio Black 250GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA
• NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
• SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
• ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA

TheHotshot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Can you expand on "so no monitor keyboard or mouse is needed (hooking up to my Denon receiver)." ?

Do you already have these?

Why the "Western Digital Scorpio Black 250GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA"? For a little more money you can get a lot more storage space. We're talking a tenner more.

Other than that this is quite a powerful build and it would help to know what display you will be running it on (size, resolution, multi screen? etc.)

McSTOUT

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I plan to plug this into my Denon 2112ci reciever with an HDMI chord. Not sure if I'll need a sound card for this or not... Display will be a Panasonic 55" TV so 1920x1080. I will likely use the xbox controller in Steam Big Picture mode for most games and rig something up for my Bluetooth mac keyboard and then I have a spare BT mouse.

EDIT: I think I may have accidentally picked a notebook harddrive anyways for that. What would you suggest for the HD?

TheHotshot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Ok, in that case that gfx card is overkill. No game will be able to max it out in that resolution. Save money, go for a gtx 670 which has very similar performance for a lower price.

On the other parts it's really personal preference. Like I said I would go for another disk and potentially a different board. Like the Asus Maximus V Gene https://www.asus.com/ROG/MAXIMUS_V_GENE/

I myself use the TV as my monitor, however I find it extremely difficult to play FPS or strategy games on it for a multitude of reasons. Have you been gaming like this until now? If not and only then, let me tell you it is not ideal and you will soon get very frustrated. Seating position, lag on the screen etc become huge problems.

For such a nice rig at that budget, it's a bit of a crime not to have a proper desk set up with keyboard/mouse etc.

Personally, I think for a TV games system get a console or build a mini-ITX based gaming system. It will be quieter, more efficient and more suited to being used on the TV at a lower cost point.

EDIT: Probably something like this: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB

EDIT 2: Soundcards I find aren't really necessary for gaming. It's a bit of a marketing gimmick as none of the games can really utilize what many of the soundscards offer. If you were producing music it would be a different story. Other than that, the onboard cards are really quite good these days.

McSTOUT

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
This is all great advice and thanks for the input! I was a PC user at a desk when I had my Alienware in college. Since then, I have been a Mac guy but have been needing a new machine (Mac is starting to fail on me...). I love RTS's and FPS but I do hear the Steam big screen mode works great as a "console" experience. For me, this means sitting back relaxing and using the controller. I understand RTS's you need k/m but I'm pretty sure I can rig up something up.

Another Q: Is it possible to have some sort of switch on the display output so I can switch to a desk setup with a monitor in an adjacent office? Reason I want to use my TV is for my nice sound setup...

EDIT: I do have an Xbox and PS3 but am not sure I'm sold on some of the rumors I've been hearing about the next gen machines. Also, I miss my PC exclusive games/genres.

TheHotshot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I understand where you're coming from. There are several options for you to connect a seperate setup in your office for example. However I am not sure which is best, as I don't know how far away that other room is.

You could get a device that switches between monitors/displays at the flick of a button. However with a modern card like the GTX680 it's easy hooking up multiple displays to the card. You could have the TV attached via HDMI and the Monitor in the DVI port for example.

Whenever you need to switch, you just do so in control panel. The issue here will be distance. Peripherals and monitor cable if the PC is to sit in the living room or vice versa. You CAN go wireless on Peripherals and sound, but not on the display, as far as I know.

Would be interersting to hear what you go for in the end.

Finally what I wanted to mention, is the PSU. I recommend you go for something upward of 700W with a Bronze certificate as this will allow you to effortlessly upgrade one day to 2 cards or more hard drives etc etc. It's nice to have the option for a little extra cash spent wisely at the beginning of your build.

McSTOUT

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
So you sold me on the 670 (here was a good price): http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Link-DisplayPort-Graphics-02G-P4-2678-KR/dp/B0083Y6MV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3DFNBOWAHOXDE&coliid=IPMC0V2RUL61B

And for the PSU I found this one which seemed to be decent:
http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-80Plus-M12II-620-BRONZE/dp/B003HE260I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3DFNBOWAHOXDE&coliid=I2DSSRIORYC09F

Now as far as the two displays: This is the TV I just recently purchased just to show you the exact TV I would use. Would this newer Panny still have NOTICEABLE input lag? As in, when I'm playing FarCry 3 with high settings at 1920x1080 with the xbox controller setup it stutters? Or is it pretty minor/ not too noticeable?
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L55ET5-55-Inch-LED-LCD-Polarized/dp/B00752R9SM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364236020&sr=1-2&keywords=panasonic+55+tv

My desk in the adjacent room I would set my monitor on would be roughly 20 feet or less of cable. Really want to avoid this though as messy wiring gives me anxiety :)

Thanks again!

TheHotshot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I think you're making a good decision by going for the GTX 670. With minimal overclocking it becomes a GTX 680 effectively. At 1080p it will be all you ever need.

The PSU is a good one too, like I said I might go higher than the 620 wattage, but that is a personal thing I like to do in terms of futureproofing. Should be fine.

The TV is super nice ;-) I play in a lower league with a 47" LED. My experience was in BF3, the delay from me moving the mouse to the movement on screen was noticeable, if not much. But going from a gaming grade monitor to that I just felt it. You could be fine and won't notice a thing.

20 feet of cable to the monitor sounds like an ambitious project. I am just not experienced enough to give you my take. I hope it is doable and I hope it works.

McSTOUT

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Really appreciate your input and guidance! I'm going to roll with this setup and, if need be grab, a monitor down the line.

Thanks again!