Windows XP won't go past black screen w/ mouse

austin8330

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
My Windows XP (SP3) won't show my log-in box after I start my computer. It just stays at a black screen with a cursor I am able to move.

I've tried to boot in:
-safe mode
-safe mode w/ command prompt.
-last working settings (forgot what it was actually called)

All three had the same results of the black screen and I am not able to pull up the command promt by pressing cntrl+alt+dlt.

I've also removed all CDs and USBs other than my wireless mouse & keyboard.

I'm up for formatting my computer to factory settings, but I have no discs at all :// I think my computer was custom made by someone because in "Additional System Info" it doesn't specify a manufacturer.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated and a huge thanks for solving some of my prior problems.

If you don't have any disks and your system does not have a restore partition, you need to get a set of XP disks to use, with a valid unused code. Your computer may have an OEM XP code on it. Or if your system will run Windows 7, get a copy of that.

How far does the system boot? Does it try to load Windows? The cursor, is it a regular mouse cursor or just a blinking command prompt one? Check the BIOS and see if the hard-drive is seen. If it's not, try reseating the drive in the case, check the power and data cables.