£750-£850 build advice needed! First-timer!

Declan Watson

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Help!

Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2 weeks

Budget Range: £750 - £850

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching movies, surfing web, light Microsoft work.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any, cheapest!

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Samsung 37" LED 3D HD TV

Additional Comments: Would like a sleek case with nice window so possibly lit fans. Games include all Call of Duties, Battlefield 3, Simcity and possibly Crysis 3

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Converting to PC from PlayStation, sick of PSN and everything to do with PlayStation, especially with PS4 coming i don't want to be tied into buying it.

Basically, i want a good PC that will at the least run COD BO2 on high settings. Also, would like it if i could upgrade it in the future, so will to spend a little more if i need to on power, MoBo etc, not too much though!

All advice greatly appreciated as in a newbie when it comes to PC gaming.

Also, advice on how much i could safely overclock an i5 3570K with this budget would be great!

properbuilds

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£99.99 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.21 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£284.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£47.93 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.22 @ Dabs)
Total: £849.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Declan Watson

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

So how about this? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Deckles69/saved/1nIQ

Slightly over price but i love the case! Everything will fit wont it?
Also, i'm definitely gonna overclock so Corsair H60 good idea or will the on I've got here be fine?

properbuilds

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi, sounds good, i just thought that you wanted a 850£ build, the fractal case is a good choice, but the ssd and psu are not what i'd recommend, the CX is of lower quality than the XFX 550W, the CX is a cwt psu with inferior capacitors whereas the xfx 550 is a seasonic(probably the best maker of psus) oem psu with japanese capacitors, i would take the XFX over the corsair cx, and it's cheaper ;)
Now for the ssd, the samsung 840 128 GB is a rather slow sdd with tlc nand, i recommend the plextor m5s with mlc nand and it's a faster ssd with more endurance ;)
The hyper 212 evo will do the trick, no need for the corsair h60 cheapo aio watercooler, it will give the same results as the hyper 212 evo but with a higher price point, with more noise levels, not to mention the risks of leaks.
So this is what i would do -> http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MaRm

By the way, if you don't need the case with window, this one is cheaper ;)
Link -> http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4bl

Declan Watson

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Yh it was mean to be £850 but got a little carried away. That's why i was thinking of just having the SSD for now, only need it for op system and few games then a month or so i'll buy a HHD.

To be honest, i'm new to all this so was basically going on YouTube reviews and alike. So it's great to get so good advice off of people who know their stuff like you :)

For £15 I'd rather have the windowed version just to show off the goodies, will fit really well with the games room.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, realistically and safely, how much could i get from the CPU if i overclocked it with these components?

properbuilds

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi, it's hard to say, but you might hit ~4.3-4.5 ghz, it all depends on the silicon lottery of the chip, some overclock really well others don't, but you might reach that ;)

Declan Watson

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm really in to it!! :)

Just realized I've got more money to invest in this than i thought, say i had an extra £100 to spend. What would be the wisest option to spend it on? Case fans?

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS