Static Shock to the case power button..mobo fried?

MajinFawkes

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Late night i was in bed, then I remembered that I needed to pay a bill that was due the next day. So I jump out of bed, and right to my PC. I reach for the power button with my static charged finger, unawares, and get a shocking surprise. I didnt actually press the button, but the PC fired up anyway...only to power down 3 seconds later. So I ground myself (too late), and press the power button. Nothing..no response.
Next I open the case and press the power button on the mobo...no response. The power and reset button on the mobo are lit up btw. So then I unplug my power cord from the psu, wait for the pc to drain completely, then plug the cord back in. Right when I plug the power cord back in the pc fires up, then dies 3 seconds later.

I've tried:
-shorting out the battery
-resetting cmos
-screwdriver to the case power pin
-bench test

All with the same result.

Heres my hardware:
CASE: Thermaltake MK-I Chaser
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB
MOBO: Asus P8Z68V PRO/GEN3
MEM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 (4x4)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Windows 7 Home

Dont know what to do next. I bought everything in February of 2012, so everything should be under warranty if qualified.

Thanks in advance.

I would fill out an rma request with asus; but first try each ram stick one at a time. Maybe one of those fried instead. The asus rma request will take about 24 hours for them to respond. Just say the board won't post. I wouldn't volunteer too much info. You'll have to be careful removing the board not to scratch the surface; place it in the anti static bag it came in originally. Keep the accessories; just send in the board. I double box mine; using the motherboard box and a ups or other shipping box, such as one from newegg. Do you have a spare power supply? You may try that also before you ship the board.

MajinFawkes

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I'll try 1 mem stick at a time, just to eliminate that. I still have the box and everything so that's good. I'm assuming that saying I shocked it by accident will void the warranty :p

I don't have an extra PSU. The PSU I have is a SilverStone SST-ST 1000p