Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting Help! Windows needs a driver to install, but it can't find any drivers on my motherboard driver disk.

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2013 4:15:55 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and the drive I want to install onto is a raid0 virtual drive. I had it working before, but I was stupid and unplugged all of the hard drives from the motherboard without realizing that would break the array. Now, I can't seem to remember how I got past this speed bump.

After hitting the "Install Windows" button, I get a dialog box that says "Load Driver A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." I then put in the mobo driver disk that came with it and it still doesn't find any drivers... I'm stuck. I made sure every setting in the BIOS was on point, and it even says for a split second that both arrays are functional.

I'm starting to get a feeling that it doesn't have anything to do with the array. Could it be that when I destroyed the raid, and subsequently lost all of the data, that Win7 is still only tied to that? Or as long as I have the original disk, it should be fine?

What steps am I missing? What methods should I use to try and find the problem? Anyone been in this situation before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2013 4:18:33 PM

You need to put the driver for the disk controller on a thumb drive just in the root folder. If this is your only computer, it might be tricky.
March 25, 2013 4:29:36 PM

twelve25 said:
You need to put the driver for the disk controller on a thumb drive just in the root folder. If this is your only computer, it might be tricky.

No its not. I'm writing this thread from my laptop, so I can do it. But can you go over how to do that? Put the Win7 disk into my laptop and open up the files?
Related resources
March 25, 2013 6:15:53 PM

So I did some research and apparently a broken raid array can leave corrupted files on the drives, which I will have to wipe, in order to get it to work? Sound right? Or should I not have a problem?
a b \ Driver
a c 89 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2013 11:15:46 PM

I think you have lost the lot

start with a clean install
March 25, 2013 11:27:10 PM

Outlander_04 said:
I think you have lost the lot

start with a clean install

I've been trying to do one. I rebuilt the raid, and put the boot disk into the opt drive, but it says there are missing drivers. I tried going to gigabyte and getting my motherboards drivers and it still didn't recognize them. It seems I have to use a usb install, but how do I do that? Do I have to repurchase windows? Cause I would rather not, since I own the hard copy...
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2013 11:35:49 PM

You just need the drivers for the RAID controller on the USB drive. You can install from CD.
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2013 11:37:04 PM

llguitargr8 said:

No its not. I'm writing this thread from my laptop, so I can do it. But can you go over how to do that? Put the Win7 disk into my laptop and open up the files?

You'll have to download the drivers from Gigabyte, unzip them if necessary and put them on the USB drive. Boot from the CD and insert driver USB disk when necessary.

March 26, 2013 9:35:27 AM

twelve25 said:
llguitargr8 said:

You'll have to download the drivers from Gigabyte, unzip them if necessary and put them on the USB drive. Boot from the CD and insert driver USB disk when necessary.

Here's the website with the drivers for my motherboard http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

I already downloaded all of the ones that even mention sata in the name, and none of them worked.

Which one would you say is the disk controller driver? (Idk if it puts this for you automatically when I copy/paste, but I have win7 64 bit)
a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2013 9:44:10 AM

This one:

"AMD SATA RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)

March 26, 2013 8:14:57 PM

twelve25 said:
This one:

"AMD SATA RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)

I already tried that one. When the dialog box says "browse" I can find the flash drive, so I know its not that the usb isn't being found, but when I click on it, it says there are no drivers in there that it can use even though the driver is in there.
April 9, 2013 8:20:36 AM

I finally installed Windows 7 Professional. I tried all the tricks from several different forum answers / suggestions. But no luck. Then I thought: "hey, it might be a good idea to try to install an earlier version of Windows then do a full / clean install from there." So I tried to install Windows XP Professional 32-bit. After 3 - 5 minutes the install failed, "this installation has stopped to prevent any damage to your hardware." I am not sure but I did get to an Automatic Problem Fix screen somewhere in my efforts. I tried this but it failed also. Anyway, I think the most direct solution would be to install an earlier version of Windows and then install Windows 7 after, since all the drivers are then loaded. I think this is what occurred when I tried to install Windows XP Professional. Install an earlier version of Windows first. Then delete partitions / format as desired when installing Windows 7. (Please post this solution to at least one other forum. I can't get to them all. I don't have the time. Thanks.)
!