Choosing a monitor for my new build

Solution
Haha, my first reaction was "holy $#!%, a Xeon!?" and then I realized you want this for audio work as well.

So here's my question: Do you do video/image work as well?

If you don't, then you want a BenQ... specifically, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270.
If you do, then you want an IPS panel - perhaps something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

That being said, those are both EXTREMELY high quality, fairly specialized monitors - the best of the best. If you can't afford that, then the Asus you picked out is a great option.
Haha, my first reaction was "holy $#!%, a Xeon!?" and then I realized you want this for audio work as well.

So here's my question: Do you do video/image work as well?

If you don't, then you want a BenQ... specifically, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270.
If you do, then you want an IPS panel - perhaps something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

That being said, those are both EXTREMELY high quality, fairly specialized monitors - the best of the best. If you can't afford that, then the Asus you picked out is a great option.

Solution
G

Thanks for the answer! Prob wont be doing any video editing on this machine but its possible I could change my mind. I have a 2009 macbook pro that Ill keep around for iMovie/final cut.. The BenQ monitor looks sweet will get that if I decide to splurge a little lol. As for the processor, I'm kind of a whatever works type of guy. I like that the xeon works like an i7 for a cheaper price. And as long as I can play some of todays games on med-high graphics without compromising the pc as an audio workstation I'm happy.

Of course; thanks for the 'best answer.' I've got one of those BenQ's, and I can tell you that when playing fps games, it feels like I'm cheating. The 120Hz makes a HUGE difference as to aim, and the black equalization that I took for a gimmick actually does help a LOT.

If you only want medium-high graphics, then go with a 7870 XT (which is actually a disabled 7950) or a 7950 - actually, getting a 7950 anyways isn't a bad idea - it'll easily overclock to match a 7970. The 7870 XT will get medium-high just FINE at 1080p, and the 7950 will be able to max most games even before you overclock it.

G

Good info here. If I get the 7950 will the xeon cpu, motherboard, ect be good for OC'ing or would you recommend something different? Having a quiet cool machine that lasts a while is more important then pushing it to the max for me. Definitely want pretty graphics at a smooth fps though.

Just throwing out there... the xeon at STOCK is going to be neither cool nor quiet - those things push heat like nobody's business. If you want to overclock, grab an i5-3570k for pretty much the same price - it doesn't have hyperthreading, but it should be faster, core-to-core and clock-to-clock. [It'll also produce WAY less heat, allowing you to overclock better with quieter cooling.]

Also, the motherboard you selected can't overclock. If you want to do so, get a z77 motherboard.

G

I would pick up a cpu cooler to go with the xeon, but if your bored and dont mind would you revise my build for good OC capabilities/silent? I am new and hardly ever know what to look for. Just know what it all does when someone shows me what goes well together haha. I got about 1000$ to spend on components +monitor excluding the case and graphics card as they are theoretically already paid for. Note* doesn't have to be whisper quiet as long as I don't hear anything annoying coming from the tower while I'm trying to mix beats and what not

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1105.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-26 00:38 EDT-0400)

It's overbudget, but that's because there's a extremely high-end SSD in there - you can take it out if you're on a strict budget.

G

Will consider this build! thank you for your time

G

When I overclock for gaming and stuff I just crank up the settings a little or something? Dont wanna fry it because of my inexperience lol. And will 500 w psu be enough for 7950 and everything else? Both builds will end up costing me about the same at the end of the day. Your build seems to let me end up with a little more for my money though. Even if I don't decided to OC and push it to the max it should be good enough for my needs. Some things I'll be running; pro tools, other audio software/plugins, skyrim, sc2, d3, WoW.