Dell laptop won't boot at all

Toushinu

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hello. the TL;DR (short version) is I have a dell Inspiron 17r using Windows 7 that I have been using for about a year now. Recently (like an hour ago) it blue screened on me while playing a game and I haven't been able to get it to boot up in any way so far.

What exactly happened was I was playing Tera which I have been able to run on the lowest settings for about a week now without any problems. Just now while I was playing, I got a blue screen. I've gotten blue screens on this laptop before but never playing this game.

So I tried to turn the computer back on immediately after it shuts off, and it brings me to a screen that says "windows is loading files" With a gray bar loading right under it. Then it goes to what seems like what will be the log in screen (the standard blue screen with the leaves and bird to the right) in an 800x600 resolution. My native resolution is supposd to be 1600x900. The mouse appears and can move around, but clicking does not do anything. The login area itself never shows up even after more than 20 minutes of waiting.

I tried leaving it be for a while in case it had overheated but after cooling down it still doesn't boot up. I have tried booting it up in safe mode and last known good configuration, and have tried selecting "repair your computer" from the boot options menu as well. All of these things produce the same result as described above.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I'm going to suggest a thorough cleaning of the laptop. It does involve disassembly so depending upon your experience level, you may want to take it to a local repair shop or, if you want to tackle it yourself, you should be able to find a video for your model on disassembly.

TRENDING THREADS