Is the GeminII M4 a good CPU Cooler?

Geotheo70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hello,

I have built a PC ("steambox" is more like it) with an AMD A10 5800K APU. The problem is that the APU came with an awful stock fan that does very poorly. To give you an example, my BIOS is showing my CPU temp as 56ºC when idle! First off, this is awfully hot. Second off, IT DOESNT STOP THERE! The temp starts low (at 30ºC) and steadily rises. I have to turn off the PC after a while because I fear that I may overheat the APU.

After looking around, I found a few coolers for my APU. One was the GeminII M4. It was in my budget and looks as if it will hover over my Ripjaws RAM (I did measure). I have heard a lot of praise of it and plan on buying it soon. But I still want input on its quality before I buy it.

Is the GeminII M4 a good cooler? Does it keep temps very low? Does it last long?

Thank You

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
The stock fan should be good enough as long as you are not overclocking. Do what amuffin suggested, make sure you have it mounted correctly. Also, the reading in the Bios is generally hotter than the idle temperature when you boot into windows, so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

What are your ambient temperatures? does your case have proper air-flow?

This cooler would most likely perform alot better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Geotheo70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Yes I have tried remounting, it doesn't help. I also believe that the case isn't well cooled (the only real thing that needs cooling right now is the APU (CPU + GPU=Lots of Heat). It only has one 80mm fan.

And Amirp, thanks for showing me that fan. However, I have looked it up before and it is taller than my entire case! This is the reason I needed a low profile fan.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hmm then I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the best low profile cooler would be, google a bunch of reviews of it, you'll probably have some luck there.

And, logically, it seems to me that if the temperature is steadily rising then that means hot air is remaining inside your case, something an aftermarket cooler (especially a low profile one that points downwards) cant really fix if it's not improving airflow through your case. Work on improving airflow for your case, make sure you for sure have an exhaust fan removing warm air at a decent rate.

This may be too much information but anyways lol: in my opinion the exhaust fan should be faster than any intake fans you have bringing air in, because if air coming in is greater than air going out then it will create higher pressure inside and thus higher temperature ...

Geotheo70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Ok thanks, I've decided to go with the GeminII M4, I think it might be too big for my Ripjaws series RAM but if it is I can just return it. Thank you all!