Tomb Raider... FPS drops on normal and high on the HD 7850 OC...

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I just got an HD 7850 OC'd and it runs most games great.

However, I've noticed in Tomb Raider, on high settings, that I can get 60fps in the benchmark at 1080p.

However, in-game, while I average 60fps on high at 1080p, the game will drop down to the 50's in certain places. A couple of these fps drops are fixed by lowering the settings to normal. However, even on normal there are places where the game will drop all the way down into the 40's.

I have no problems running BF3 on high settings and averaging 60fps at 1080p with this rig.

So what's the problem? Should I update to the latest beta drivers?

Here are my specs by the way:
CPU: Core i3 2120
GPU: Sapphire HD 7850 OC
RAM: 4GB
Drivers: 13.1

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Yeah, but it still never looks better than BF3 on high; which rarely drops below 50fps at 1080p and stays around 60fps most of the time.

Is it just bad porting I guess?

It seems to happen when you at this area where there are tons of stuff all over the side of a mountain, which are all in your view. Basically it is a problem with too much in one viewable area for the PC to keep up with and BF3 also drops into that FPS range for the same reason in multiplayer on large maps.

Kiam Fazl

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Stop making threads to complain about this. It's your CPU. Tomb Raider is a much newer game than the other ones you mention; requirements change.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Wrong, it's a problem with the game.

Here's a dude with an I5-2500K complaining about the same problem...

In the same thread one guy said:
An i7 to max out? Sorry but I don't buy it. Saw a user on another forum with a 3930k overclocked and with titan sli complaining about the exact same problem.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136427

So please do not reply if you don't know what you're talking about.

If I can play 99% of PC games with no problem and only have a problem playing 1% of PC games, that's a software problem.

I bet you would tell people that play AC3 that the Boston lag is a CPU problem too, when people with i5's and i7's get those same drops.

I'm just saying, don't try to help if you don't know what you're talking about.

It is the CPU, but even the fastest CPU have FPS drops. And Tomb Raider FPS drops will hit the 40's or even mid 30's on slower CPU's. The thing is, 40's is considered decent FPS.

And while you blame the game, your CPU is the part being pushed. It is your CPU that needs to be increased to have higher minimums. All dips and spikes in a game are both due to your system and the game. He is not wrong to call your CPU the bottleneck and it goes without saying it is the game that pushes the CPU hard enough to create that bottleneck. You can say that about any game with a FPS drop without 100% GPU usage.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

The CPU isn't even being pushed though, that's the problem. I heard one guy on the Eido's forum say that this game has bad multicore support. This is why having a better CPU helps, because it makes a single core faster.

But yeah, it's a game issue. There's this point in Bioshock Infinite where there's tons of smoke, tons of snow and it still maintains 60fps.

Not even BF3 on high at 1080p drops to 40fps.

So from what I've been able to gather, it's an issue with bad multicore support. And besides, a guy with an i5 was complaining about the same drops.

I mean, think about what you guys are saying. They can get Tomb Raider to run at 30fps, on 6 year old consoles, with 6 year old cpu's, but can't get the game to run at 60fps at all times, on far better hardware? No. It's just they don't give a crap about optimizing PC games. Glad I got this game free with my graphics card and didn't pay for it.