Cannot download anything. Help please.

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
This is a custom build computer. it is i think 1 or 2 years old and never used to have a problem with downloading or any other problems. Windows XP with sp2. I tried downloading Google Chrome setup and it takes 9 hours, sometimes it doesn't even start downloading. Also this pc never used to have this problem before it got the FBI virus and after the reformat it has a problem. But now it seems something is stopping it from downloading even though it is connect to the internet, and if it starts to download it takes forever. 9 hours for google chrome i don't think it is correct. Please help. thanks in advance.

rcm789

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Did you do a restore or a reformat? (just to make sure, a restore may still have the virus.) Otherwise, Windows XP with just SP2 might have some problems installing newer programs, update to SP3 and all the rest of the 100 plus updates and see, for one if they take forever (more than usual forever) and two if afterwards Google Chrome installs correctly. Also after your reformat you may have gotten a bad driver for your NIC, check to make sure that you're using the driver for you NIC. Going to your motherboards main site and download page is usually the best place to find it.

Side note - Only 1 to 2 years old why are you using XP and not windows 7 if you don't mind me asking?

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Not sure what you mean by reformat. But if you had a virus on the drive, and didn't do a low level format of the drive and rebuild of the OS / app load, there is NO WAY I would even consider using that computer.... Get out the disks and wipe that sucker!

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I did a full reformat of the system everything was wiped clean. What is a NIC driver. At the time he put together the computer they didn't sell Windows 7. It might actually be 3-4 years old.

rcm789

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

What I mean by reformat is that not just a restore from the recovery partition of the hard drive (or something like that), that the OS was actually re-installed and a format of the hard drive was done.

rcm789

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
So try getting SP 3 through windows updates like I mentioned. (And/Or) A NIC is a network card, the driver is what tells it how to work. So since your computer is custom find out who makes the motherboard and what model it is then go to that site and driver downloads and type in you're model number and find the most recent network driver for you're computer.

rcm789

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
You'll want the LAN Driver. There is a lot of terms that all mean the same basic thing sorry. So the one that says "Realtek PCIe LAN Driver"

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Okay start with the basics. You did a reload, but you can not download anything. Can you connect to anything at all? (Can you browse the web?)

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Okay about to download that driver. Right now I am connected to the internet from the computer that is having the issues. My problem is it is taking so long to download small or big files for example java run time 7 took like 20+ mins. Also random lag spikes ping is 17 jumps to 120+ comes back down to 20.

Also why do I need the lan driver when I am using wireless?

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Still same problem downloading is really slow. Also when I tried playing League of Legends my ping would spike up from 17 to 330.

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I tried to download malwarebytes because I am starting to think this computer has a virus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28497428@N03/8594910172/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28497428@N03/8593810783/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28497428@N03/8594910380/

^This is what happens the download froze.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Wipe that drive clean. Not just reformat it, but blow out any partitions you have and recreate them new.

Your process should be...
#1. Save any data you absolutely have to retain off on a removable media that can be set RW so like a flash drive, portable HDD etc... Remove the media once you have the data you want backed up.
#2. Repartition the hard disk, and fully reformat. Don't save anything on the disk it is all suspect at this point. If you now have one partition, make it two, the idea here is to overwrite the MBR.
#3. Perform your Windows XP install, deleting the partitions again, and creating the partitions you actually want.
#4. Prior to connecting to the network, install drivers, and a recent, good anti virus and anti malware. Do NOT install your applications or data yet.
#5. If you can connect to the wired network, use wired first, and apply ALL avaialble updates to your OS and Anti Virus / Anti Malware. You never mention what AV / AM software you are using. I have used AVG with good results, have moved on to Norton Internet Security as my ISP provides it free, and my company VPN has a script that looks for Norton / Symantec, or McAfee products before it will let you in. (cuss, fuss, blah blah blah...). Symantec / Norton Anti Virus / Internet Security products have served me well for a very long time I must admit.
#6. Keep re-running the updaters until they report no more updates available.
#7. Install and update your applications. Same as OS and anti virus / anti malware, keep updating until you can't anymore...
#8. Perform system hardening tasks. (host based firewalls, applying security templates etc...)
#9. Turn OFF Autoplay / autorun.
#10. VERIFY you have turned off Autoplay / autorun.
#11. Using a known clean, sufficiently large and empty removable media, perform a FULL system backup of your freshly loaded system (just in case).
#12. Plug in the removable media, and once it gets a drive letter scan the living snot out of it and its contents.
#13. Assuming you survived Step #12 in okay shape, copy your date from the removable media to your local drive.
#14. Disconnect from Wired network, enable WiFi, verify connection speed.
#15. Re-establish network memberships such as Workgroup, or domain memberships if applicable.
#16. Re-establish any and all local accounts you want on the box.
#17. Enjoy and try to not get infected again...