I5 3570k's maximum clock speed?

bruniss

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi ppl!

I was just wondering how far could the I5 be pushed. I know that this kind of CPU are somewhat limited because of a factory thing, that they can't dissipate that all the heat. Nevertheless, how far could it go with a heatsink or a watercooler?

Gabber

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

First of all it's a K version so it's better to Overclock.
How far u can push him? Depends on your self what cooling u have and how much u want him to go. Record is atm 7.18Ghz

I think u can easy get 4.5Ghz with water cooling running 50°C at stress test (100% CPU usage)

I had my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K running at 4.6GHz with the Corsair H100 but it was hotter than I wanted to keep it at in a 24/7 overclock. I know others with a better cooling system have run faster but this is a reasonable overclock with an good cooling solution.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Record is actually 8.47 GHz, held by AMD FX-8350, the record for an i5-3570k may be 7.18 GHz. Yes, they were using liquid nitrogen, and ran Passmark Benchmark software and unigine Heaven Benchmark software at 8.47 GHz. You can probably find it on YouTube, I saw it on Guiness World Records...

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Dude really? Quit Fing trolling these threads. It's not a never ending battle between Intel and AMD. Who gives a shit what the 8350's record is. NO ONE asked that question. Why the hell bring this up in this thread? Are you that pathetic?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Here we go.../mellodramatic monotone.

I was correcting the statement that the world record OC was 7.18 GHz...are you that pathetic that you have to take offense to everything anyone says about AMD? Is your intel e-peen ego that bruised?

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

I own a 3570k and I also have a 200$ motherboard made for overclocking. I also have a really good air cooler, used top quality thermal compound, and have a really cool case. Not quite as good as an H100i water cooler but good enough to give you an estimate on the MAX you can get out of a 3570k.

I believe 4.5Ghz is the perfect overclock for these chips. Many people, including a friend of mine who has build 100's of these say the same thing. They kind of hit a "wall" after 4.5Ghz. They take a whole lot of voltage once you pass 4.5Ghz. Pretty much every chip. I've had 2 and they both acted the same.

I have mine clocked at 4.6 because I want to be better than average, but the bad part is that my chip gets up to 95c in Intel Burn In Test. Granted, in prime95 it only gets to 85c and during normal use I never even see 70c. Keep in mind 95c in IBT and 85c in prime95 are my MAX temps on my hottest core. That's not my average. My averages are probably 90c in IBT and 80c in prime95.

But the absolute MAX I believe these chips will go on air or high end water cooling is 4.8Ghz. As it takes damn near 1.40-1.45v to get to 4.8Ghz and to get the 5.0Ghz it'll probably take 1.55 which is over what Intel suggests. And that's a TON of voltage. So I think if you have one of THE best chips out there, you may be able to get 4.8Ghz with higher end water cooling. I've never heard of someone having their 3570k w/water cooler at 5.0Ghz or even 4.9Ghz. You just never hear of that. Although SOMETIMES you'll hear someone say they're at 4.8Ghz. But they may not even be completely stable or may not be cool enough. I THOUGHT I was at 4.8Ghz at one point but I quickly found out I wasn't stable and was too hot. I was also at 4.7Ghz for a while but it wasn't completely stable at the temps I wanted to be at. And now, at 4.6Ghz and I can say that I am completely stable after over 100 passes of IBT on very high and hours and hours of prime95. I've had this overclock for a while too and it never so much as hiccups. My voltage needs to be 1.370 though to be so stable.

Sometimes you see people who say, "yeah I'm at 4.5Ghz at only 1.20-1.25v". But I can promise you that if they were to run 100 passes of Intel Burn In Test on Very High, they would soon realize they weren't stable. Sure there are differences between chips, but not that much difference.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Dude, he was obviously saying that was the 3570k's record, can you not even see that? We're talking 3570k's here. Nothing about an 8350 in this post. If you can't see that you must be blind. Why even come here when you don't know what a 3570k can do in the first place?

8350rocks

Distinguished

That's very sound OC advice...if you're going to OC, you need to be sure you have a stable OC and the voltage has to be dialed in.

bruniss

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Thx for answering guys! Now the question is, should I push mine to 4.5? (it's at 4.2). My I5 was OCed by a friend, so I'm not quite sure what to do. I've seen several tutorials but I don't feel quite sure I can pull it off. Or is it easier to push it to 4.5 than OCing from scratch?

robjon70

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

And HOW does this relate the overclocking the INTEL i5-3570K?

robjon70

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Yes. You should be able to overclock to 4.5Ghz easily.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
8350rocks you can't site here and tell me that you did NOT know he was talking about the 3570k's record. Just read what he says.

"First of all it's a K version so it's better to Overclock.
How far u can push him? Depends on your self what cooling u have and how much u want him to go. Record is atm 7.18Ghz"

And you really think you had to "correct" this with an 8350's top overclock? He clearly says 3570k. He's clearly talking about a 3570k. Your such a freaking homer.

Go to Tek Syndicate or something.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
It varies from CPU to CPU, every ivy bridge I've played with with tends to reach 4.4 with out any problems on all in one loops/ high end heat sink fan, 4.8 on a 3570k, fans would have to be at 100% on this kind of set up though with proper case cooling. I haven't tried a full water loop out on ivy yet but I just got new radiators and a reservoir so I will be trying it out with my old stuff at some point when i can afford a new block and pump. You could probably pull off 5 Ghz on a 3570k with a well planned loop but I don't think it would be good for a 24/7 overclock personally you'd need way to high of a vcore

Gabber

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
U should easy OC to 4.5Ghz without any problem. But do u have on the 3570k intel turbo boost?
When u have the intel turbo boost u could not only OC ur CPU standard baseclock but u can OC the turbo boost to :)
So when u running at 100% it's goes to 4.9Ghz instead of 4.5Ghz . I think those clocks are easy to config

I have an sabertooth z77 i7 3770(non k)
I OC the turbo boost at 4.5Ghz from the 3.9Ghz and i'm running cool do

Only thing is idk but OC'ing with the sabertooth z77 makes it so easy..

8350rocks

Distinguished

You may think I am some AMD fanboy, but the fact of the matter is, I know intel hardware pretty well. To be in my industry and not know intel would be a fool's errand, so don't discount the fact that I am well aware of what both are capable of...

When I see a reference to an OC world record...I wasn't aware that Guiness kept track of different processors, only which ones have the world record. So, if you want to nag and nag and complain...I can't do anything about that...but, while I think intel is overpriced hardware, and in some cases, priced well over market value, their hardware isn't bad. QC can be hit and miss...I have had some sandy bridge chips get shipped in DOA, it happens with AMD too, though far less frequently (for example 3 intel chips in past 60 days, 1 AMD in last 60 days comparatively...and I get more AMD chips than intel chips).

You intel fanboys don't see the other side of the coin...so...maybe it's just best if you don't pull your head out of the sand...keep recommending all budget gamers buy the most expensive hardware that they can't afford because it's "better" in your eyes...when they could spend that extra $40-50 on a better GPU and get a chip that will perform as well or better in many circumstances. Plus, if they get a DOA chip, then that delays their build until they get a new one back from the vendor they purchased from. I could go on and on...but I am going to stop there...if you don't get it by now, you won't, and the rest would be wasting my breath on a topic that isn't worth it.

Gabber

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Just stop complaining. U are spamming this topic with things he did not ask for..

bruniss

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I agree. Enough with that s***.