no input signal, new build

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hi everyone. Found this site after quick a google trying to find an answer to my problem. After having constant issues with my old system, I decided to build a new one primarily for gaming. After installing all the componets, My monitor isnt receiveing a signal. I followed the troubleshooting guide and no luck. Its very possible I messed something up. After hours of labour trying to verify what was wrong i decided to take a break and boot up my old system.
Only its isnt getting a signal on that system either. Dunno why since it was working yesterday. A common answer I see is " get a new monitor" But this one is an old wacom tablet touch screen that is a must have for a budding digital artist, its invauable to me. I wonder is there anyway the cable could have been damaged. Im considering taking the whole thing to PC world and see if they can fix it, but I wanted to build this new rig myself and avoid wasting anymore cash.

Thanks guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place. If you need system specs im more than happy to post em.

Solution
Ok, let's see if I got this right. You now need to install a new graphics card on your old PC, but your monitor is VGA only and the card is DVI only.

The adapter should work. What you need to do is make sure the card is properly installed. Are you replacing an older video card or adding one to a PC that had an integrated video card?

If the PC had an older video card, you need to uninstall the drivers, then physically install the new card. It should be able to display as soon as you boot. After that, install the drivers in order to use its rendering capabilities.

If the PC had an integrated card, you may need to enter the BIOS and set it to give preference to the discrete graphics card. Normally, it is like this by default, but that...
yes it could be the cable

can you test your wacom on a friends pc?

or test your new build on a friends monitor

or borrow a cable

pc world should be a last resort as it will probably not be cheap

and quite honestly i have a low opinion of their abilities from previous experience with them

It is unlikely that you managed to damage the monitor while installing the PC. Please tell us what VGA you use on your new build, some of them require power connectors on them.

On your new build, did you connect the internal speaker? it usually looks like this:

blog18a1d14dd0a4ccf9c8d355c44d869a03.jpg

If you didn't plug the speaker, it may be that you have problems with your motherboard, RAM or CPU, and the motherboard can't beep to warn you.

As for the monitor and the old PC:

Are there multiple inputs on your monitor? It could be that it's trying to display the wrong input. Does it use a VGA connector?Are you sure you connected the cable to the right output on the PC?

If possible, try to test the monitor on a different PC.

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just tried to connect my monitor to my sisters PC but was unable to due to the weird connecter. On one of the screws needed to secure the cable into the port there is an extened nut. I tried to unscrew it but it was on too tight, not even plyers could get it off. So i decided to try my sisters monitor on my old build and everything booted up fine.

Would it be fair to assume this issue is related to my wacom monitor and/cable? Would it be a good idea to buy a new cable and what cable should I get?

My video card is an EVEA GEFORCE GTX500Ti. It only has 1 type of port, DVI i think. My monitor is a WACOM CINTIQ PL-500. The cable my monitor uses is white medium sized one, not sure what type it is but it does fit into the video card. Is compatibility an issue here?

I think installed the speaker, i put the plug into the right slot. Does that circular thing go anywhere? What kind of beeps do i listen for? Also what does VGA stand for? Sorry for the noobish questions, this the first time ive tried something like this.

About the speaker:

No, it doesn't go anywhere, it just hangs about. The round thing is the speaker. Usually, when there are any issues with the memory or CPU, the motherboard will make a loud beep using the speaker. It would not go unnoticed.

VGA is an older kind of analog video cable, more properly referred to as DB15. It looks like this:

VGA.jpg

A DVI connector, on the other hand, is digital and looks like this:

346dvi%20dvi.jpg

Colors may vary, but VGA is usually blue and white. It seems your Wacom uses DVI, which would go well with your graphics card.

It could be that your desktop is set to a resolution too high for that monitor. While running on your sister's monitor, try setting the resolution to 1024x768, 16-bit color. Turning off Aero might help too. Here is how to do it on Win 7:

1. right-click your desktop background.
2. Screen resolution.
3. Set "resolution" to 1024x768.
4. Advanced confguration.
5. Monitor.
6. Set color to 16-bit and make sure it is also at 60 hertz.

Now change the monitor back to yours. If that was the problem, it will work again. You can then enhance the color configuration, if the monitor doesn't support it, just wait for 15 seconds and it will revert. The same goes for resolution, but I believe yours is limited to 1024x768.

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
So I went out and got a new DVI cable. Tried it on all 3 desktops: My new one, my old one and my sisters. Each one is giving me the same no input signal message. On my sisters PC the message kept flickering on and off. When I turn my new build on there is a slight whirr when i turn it on but no loud beep.
I took my wacom PC world but they couldnt test it, being an old model they could connect it to their PCs apprently.
They said it was possible I damaged the monitor when i took the cable out. Not sure where to go from here. Im considering buying a replacement on ebay, theres plenty of second hand models exactly the same as the one that i have now. Problem is I dont wanna spend that money only to have it break in the same way as the last one. Is the CINTIQ PL-500 compatible with my graphics card or is that wishfull thinking?
What would you guys recomend?

Thanks.

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Murissokah, sadlly I was not able to attempt the resolution fix. My wacom will not work on any of the 3 PCs I have at my disposal.

I can get my sisters monitor working on my old build, but her monitor is a VGA connection. The only way I can get it to work is by using the VGA port on my mother board, thus my old PC is not detecting the graphics card and I am unable to play my games since they cant detect the video card. I tried buying a VGA to DVI adapter to see if I could connect it to teh graphics card but no luck, got the same message on all of em.

I tried using another new DVI cable for the WACOM. When I went to plug the power cable into the back of the monitor I noticed some sparks inside the port. Pretty sure its curtains for my touch screen at this point.

Is there any reason the VGA to DVI adapter isnt working? I know this my sisters monitor works cause im using it now.

Ok, let's see if I got this right. You now need to install a new graphics card on your old PC, but your monitor is VGA only and the card is DVI only.

The adapter should work. What you need to do is make sure the card is properly installed. Are you replacing an older video card or adding one to a PC that had an integrated video card?

If the PC had an older video card, you need to uninstall the drivers, then physically install the new card. It should be able to display as soon as you boot. After that, install the drivers in order to use its rendering capabilities.

If the PC had an integrated card, you may need to enter the BIOS and set it to give preference to the discrete graphics card. Normally, it is like this by default, but that would explain the card not working.

Is this your card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130744

If it is, notice it has a 6-pin power connector on the far end. It needs that power connection to work.

Solution

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

No, this is a brand new build. My old system is so old and full of dust that tha video card has become lodgged into the slot and will not come out. The only way its coming out is with some serious force and breakage.

I didnt even notice that seperate 6-pin connection point. Do i need to hook that upto my PSU with one of the cables the PSU came with?

EDIT: just checked my old system and noticed the 6-pin connecter wasnt connected to anything, putting the 6-pin cable that was hanging around back in, I am able to use that VGA to DVI adapter and use my sisters monitor. Havent tried my WACOM yet but since the video card wasnt connected in both my builds, I hopefully wont have to replace it.

Cant believe I missed that! Thanks Murissokah, looks like we are getting somewhere. Gonna test the WACOM now.

Well, that's good news, your monitor may very well be working. The sparks you mentioned before sometimes happen when connecting power cables, depending on the power block of the equipment, so try and connect it while everything is powered off to avoid that.

Hope for the best!

apolly

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Kay guys update for you. Tested my wacom and no luck. Still not turning on. Im convinced the monitor is kaput and Im going to have to replace it.
That said I did solve the issue regarding no signal. Quite simple really. I didnt connect the Video card to the PUS via that 6 pin plug. Dam what a noob I am.

But now I have it up an running I have run into another issue regarding my hard drive. The hard drive is one I took out of my old system. When I try to install windows XP on the new PC, it goes through the whole startup process and eventually leads me to a "windows encoutered a problem and needs to close"

It says there is an issue with the hard drive and asks me to run a check for corruption or termination. I figured this was because it still had stuff on it. I was hoping I could format it and install XP on it. I may have installed the hard disk wrong as cause it was from my old PC, i dont have the instructions for it. Now before i go an buy a small new one from PC world is there anything I can try first?