Computer Build Advice

WhiteBoiDancer

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Sorry. Meant to include that... It's a gaming PC that I don't wanna hold back on.
I don't want to pick up a game and load it up and not be able to play at ultra settings. So basically it's a enthusiasts gaming rig is the best way I can explain it.

ASPEEDYNINJA

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
well if it's just for gaming you don't need that i7 cos no games as far as im aware use hyper-threading a 3570k would be fine but if you want it for future proofing or if you intend to do something processor heavy get it, personally i don't like having water anywhere near my pc even in a closed loop cooler so i would get a noctua nh-d14 or something similar and thats all i would change :)

WhiteBoiDancer

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks I'll do some research on 3570k. I might just stick with the 3770k for Future Proofing like you said. As for the water cooling I'll look that fan up you linked me.

g-unit1111

Titan

There's no such thing as future proofing. No matter what you're not going to spend $300 on a new CPU every two years and by the time you're ready to upgrade something newer and better will come along. On a gaming rig you'll never use the extra threads offered by the i7, you're paying an extra $100 for literally no gain in performance. On the original build you're paying way too much for a lot of things like the motherboard (there is no need for the Maximus V when one that's 1/2 as much does the exact same functions), and the cheap plastic liquid cooler. A D14 is better than an H100. If you're going to do liquid cooling, run a real full water block or don't use it at all. Also that mouse mat is an incredibly ridiculous waste of money - you don't need it. You also don't need things like extra thermal compound either. And you can always add things like the headset and the expensive peripherals later on.

This is what would be a far better investment for your money:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2284.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-26 13:41 EDT-0400)

Then add a solid 1440P display like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamakasi-Catleap-HDMI-1-4a-Q271-LED-2560x1440-WQHD-S-IPS-Monitor-HDMI-/130832875155?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e763f3e93

Speakers: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A2

And whatever keyboard and mouse you want. That would be a far wise use of that budget.

WhiteBoiDancer

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I understand where you are coming from with the CPU and MOBO. I am going to be using the computer for more than just gaming. To me that 100 dollars is WELL SPENT on upgrades the CPU. I understand that I am past the point of diminishing returns. Same with the MoBo. It is well rated. Works well with CrossfireX, Had AMAZING On Board Audio, Great On board WiFi/Bluetooth, and a ton more features. Great reviews, and I love the Asus BIOS. I could downgrade the MOBO, but I want to build a system that I will not have any guilt with. I don't wanna go to my computer one day and be like "god damn it, I should have bought that i7 cpu, or Maximus V."

Do you understand where I am coming from?

What I am looking for help with is. For Example
"This MOBO is better, BECAUSE blah blah blah"

Money isn't an issue. If I wanted someone else to completly build my system I would go to Origin, Cyberpower, Ibuypower, etc.

Thanks for trying to help tho :)

WhiteBoiDancer

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I looked at the 800D vs. The HAF X. To my knowledge the 800D is more the "water coolers" case. Doesn't have that great airflow.

Now I am not doing any EXTREME Overclocking so I don't think Water cooling is worth it. What are your thoughts?

g-unit1111

Titan

I understand where you are coming from but there's areas where you're better off *NOT* spending tons of money - like the motherboard or RAM. Like I said the RAM is not the place to blow a ton of money on a build. The Gigabyte board I linked to has all the same functions of the Maximus for $100 cheaper. Things like whether one onboard audio is better than the other doesn't do anything for me, and Wifi onboard - I would rather get a stand alone wifi adapter - it's much cheaper and easier to replace if something goes wrong. To me if money isn't an issue - get the best GPU you can get right now. Currently it's a tie between dual 7970s' or a single GTX Titan.

WhiteBoiDancer

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Ok, I see.
How is the Gigabyte BIOS?
How is the support if I need help?
Do I have a recommendation for a sound card to use?
and a wifi adapter?

And I am rocking 2 7970's. Now why did you choose the Sapphire over the Gigabyte?