Cpu cable has melted

Jamie Johnstone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Right basically I some new stuff to build a new pc, I know its old stuff but its all I can afford

I got....

AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970/SB950, DDR3, 6 x S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, USB 3.0, Socket AM3+)

Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance 120mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

Im useing my not very old PSU 500w ozc? think it is...

Put everything in last night, just put one of my Hds in so i can start it up make sure everythings working, Pressed on, Nothing happend, suddenly I could hear a hiss and crackle and loads of smoke, The cpu power cable and the extension it was connected to has has melted!!!

Is it possible that i put oneof the plugs round the wrong way... the extenstion has two 4pin at each end but I only used one of the 4pin connected to the psu and pluged it in to motherboard.

After closer inspection I also noticed I missed two screws on the MB in the middle, it was just resting on the risers....

Nothing on the board or the ram or the underside of the board looks burnt in anyway, But that probs means nothing... lol

Any help would be much appreciated

thankyou Jamie

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
In theory you shouldn't be able to connect plugs wrong way in PC in practice you push hard enough you can open a worm hole.

I'd get another PSU and try again

Jamie Johnstone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
My Mate Who Knows Bit More Than me with Electrics Said Some How the Postive Has Gone To Earth Cause Its Burnt. only Thing I Can think Of Is If Ive Niped The cable Or Would Leaving A Screw Underside Of Mb Cause It? Cause Swear I Heard One Drop Out.. I knew I Should Of Not Put Iy Together At 2Am But I Couldnt sleep Lol

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
via Imgflip Meme Generator

check with different psu I wouldn't trust it after a failure even if it's not PSU's fault. Or you can just ask your electrican friend to attach new plug if you live by YOLO. Situations like that can often drag mobo and cpu to cemetery.

Jamie Johnstone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Both the Cable Coming out Of The Psu And The Extenstion Have Melted Parts All The Way Along. Ill just jave To Bin It And Wait A Month To Get Abother Psu. Ive Taken everthing Apart Start Again. I Really Hopeing I Havent Jyst Thrown 300 Down the Drain

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Why the hell you caps every single word ? I hope it will be fine... building PC is easy but you should always be precise and double check everything before firing it up.

Jamie Johnstone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I was just a tad excicted. And rushed it. Ive built 10 pcs with no problems. Which i cant understand why it done it and nor can my mate. Hes looked at the cable and the way its pluged in and said Its Fine Ohhh Not Again