Wireless N speed issue?

Noctis_Angelus

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hey guys, I recently just bought a ASUS Wireless N card for my new gaming tower and I know that with the n speed I can get up to 300mbps. Currently I have a 2701 HGB AT&T Modem which is is only providing me with a speed of 54 mbps. Since I am online gaming Id like to get as close to the 300mbps speed as possible. Should I buy a router that supports N and hook it up to the modem, is that even an option? How do i take full advantage speed wise of the new wireless n card i purchased?

I am also aware that it depends on the speed package I purchased from my Internet carrier, and am currently looking into that and will post what it is when I find it.

Noctis_Angelus

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I am currently downloading KOTOR MMO and it says it is doing it at 535.49 KB /s. Is this fairly quick and satisfactory for gaming, as I know Starwars requires almost 25GB of storage. Side note: its been downloading since 12:00pm last night, here it is now 1:00pm and has 11.56 GB remaining. This slow download is what prompted my thread.

Its going to mostly depends on what speed you can get from ISP. First in real life you never can get that actual 54m it says you connected at. It is half duplex so you get maybe 20-25m in most cases. If you can get a connection from your ISP that is more than that it might pay to upgrade your router.

That said getting 300m is a big joke. First to get anything above 54m you must disable the compatibility mode and force it to run N only. Then you must run WPA2 and AES. This then gives you the possibility to get more speed. First step up is to get something between 54m and 150m. If you have 2 clear channel groups...ie 1,6 or 6,11 that have little interference then you might get the 150m. To get the 300m you are dependent on there being little interference because it will now try to send 2 150m signals at close to the same time. In real life you might get 75-100m because of the duplex problem and interference. Almost impossible to predict this too many variables.

Noctis_Angelus

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Forgive me but I am not familiar with what an ISP is?

hyelton

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
You ISP is AT&T the person that asked must of not have read the entire thread. 54Megs is plenty enough for you on Wireless G unless your transfering files from PC to PC your AT&T Internet is no where going to get near wireless G`s top speed a router is not going to give you more or better internet speed.