Do all motherboard holes require stand offs? - please urgent help required

cl91

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi,

I have just started building my PC and I'm using the CiT Vantage gaming case and a MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard and it says M-ATX boards are compatible with the case. I have just installed the motherboard stand offs to the case and have noticed that there isn't a hole to secure the bottom right hand side of the motherboard. Do all the holes have to be installed on stand offs or is this normal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Nope this is very normal, for the right hand side holes on motherboards esp. These holes are actually not designed for standoffs (you can tell because they don't have the metal ring around them like the other holes should.

The one thing you do need to be careful about is not having too many stand-offs installed. If you have a standoff behind the motherboard which doesn't line up with a hole, make sure it's removed, otherwise it can cause a short which may damage your components.

All the best,

M

cl91

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

The hole on the motherboard is exactly the same as all the other the other holes which requires stand offs, I've used the
board on a previous build using a different case an there was a stand off for it. Would you say it's still ok? The board looks as if
it will be well supported even with this one missing.

Thanks for your advice on using too many stand offs, I definitely wont do that!

cl91

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
There are only six holes in my motherboard, I've used five out of the six.

There is no hole for the sixth stand off.

Is that ok?

i compare the mb to the case and figure out where the standoffs need to go. typically i use all of the mb mounting holes.

if your mb has six but the case can only support 5 of them then that should be fine. just dont pry/push on the unsupported corner when installing ram, plugs, cards or the cpu cooler which goes on so tight every single time i install one i think i'm going to snap the board in half!

TRENDING THREADS