T-Mobile Finally Intros "Un-Carrier" Plan, iPhone 5 Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
So, essentially you sign a contract to buy the iphone and pay month by month for cell service? I just hope they don't get rid of the 30 buck prepaid plans they currently have....

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
It seems like they just traded the 2-year contract for a 2-year Phone loan. It does seem a little cheaper. $99 outright for phone + 24 months @ $20 = $579. I bought a Nexus 4 for $350 and pay $45 a month for unlimited StraightTalk. I've seen the GSIII for $449 recently. I'd pass on this phone "contract."

asnorton44

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]It seems like they just traded the 2-year contract for a 2-year Phone loan. It does seem a little cheaper. $99 outright for phone + 24 months @ $20 = $579. I bought a Nexus 4 for $350 and pay $45 a month for unlimited StraightTalk. I've seen the GSIII for $449 recently. I'd pass on this phone "contract."[/citation]
Its the Galaxy S4 for $99 not the GSIII.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]asnorton44[/nom]Its the Galaxy S4 for $99 not the GSIII.[/citation]I am talking about off-contract. Flat-out price. Just trying to compare. If you bought a brand new GS4 off-contract it would run you around $700 (same with iPhone 5, I think). Now that I think about it, it would be cheaper to just sign up for the 2-year contract since you only pay $99-$199 for most phones versus their phone loan program where you pay $579.

game junky

Distinguished
When they initially indicated T-Mobile was getting the iPhone, I was like crap - now how am I going to offload my AT&T iPhones for near retail cost. Well, with the not-so-discounted price tag they're putting on the iPhone5 I think it should be easy enough to still sell my iPhone whenever a model revision comes out that is worth shelling out the duckets for.

Way to keep help out AT&T phone offloaders such as myself T-Mobile...:)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I think this is a great move for TMO customers. I think $70 for unlimited 4g, talk and text is a pretty good deal in the US (especially if you get tethering.) Too many people think an iphone costs $200, and their cell service costs $120/month, hopefully this will show some of them the real costs of an AT&T iphone.

I just hope they reduce the length of the phone payment plan to correctly reflect the price of the phone.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I get no contract $20 a month for unlimited talk/text/data and call features in Toronto, Canada from Mobilicity. I don't get why service is so expensive in USA.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]philipgreen521[/nom]my buddy's sister-in-law makes $62/hr on the computer. She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $20013 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more www.****.com[/citation]

Coz she is doing the live cam shows.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]santiagoanders[/nom]How can you be bound for 2 years of service without a contract? The contract is what binds you.[/citation]
You still sign a contract....it just doesn't bind you to their service for 2 years anymore. When you buy a new phone, instead of subsidized pricing, they finance the phone for 2 years. The cost of the phone is divided by 24 and that is added to your monthly bill for 24 months. If you decide to leave T-Mo, you're responsible for the remaining balance of the phone price. That is what you're signing a contract for. Instead of a 2-yr service contract, you're signing a 2-yr financing contract.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I think this is a great move for TMO customers. I think $70 for unlimited 4g, talk and text is a pretty good deal in the US (especially if you get tethering.) Too many people think an iphone costs $200, and their cell service costs $120/month, hopefully this will show some of them the real costs of an AT&T iphone.I just hope they reduce the length of the phone payment plan to correctly reflect the price of the phone.[/citation]
T-Mobile takes the price of the phone, divides it by 24 and adds the value to the monthly fee. You're actually paying the retail price of the phone, but you're paying it over 24 months.....instead of what AT&T, Verizon and Sprint do....which is claim to give you a phone at X price while actually raping you for 2-4 times what the phone actually costs.

I got a BBZ10.... I paid $100+tax up front (the tax is applied to the total price, not the down payment, so I paid $26.60 in tax). I'm paying $18/month for 24 months, equaling the remaining $432 (retail is $532). It's actually a pretty good deal if you can't afford to shell out $300+ on the latest smartphones in 1 shot. They don't charge you interest either.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]It seems like they just traded the 2-year contract for a 2-year Phone loan. It does seem a little cheaper. $99 outright for phone + 24 months @ $20 = $579. I bought a Nexus 4 for $350 and pay $45 a month for unlimited StraightTalk. I've seen the GSIII for $449 recently. I'd pass on this phone "contract."[/citation]
That's exactly what they did. You sign a 2yr financing contract instead of a service contract. You can pay off the phone at any time. For those of us that can't afford to pay $579 or $449 for a phone all at one time....this is actually a great deal compared to what AT&T, Verizon and Sprint offer.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]asnorton44[/nom]So I am on a contract, does that mean I am on prepaid now, or do I finish out the contract and then its prepaid???[/citation]
More like you're on prepaid, but have the option of getting an interest-free loan on the phone. (it adds up to the same amount you'd have paid otherwise, surprisingly enough) Once you've paid off the phone (if you chose to go that route), you only have the prepaid service part left, and thus the bill drops - you don't pay the subsidized price if you're not subsidizing a phone.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I wish AT&T did something like this. I would switch to tmobile if they had the coverage where I mostly use my phone. This new plan where you actually know how much you are paying for the phone seems much better than the way AT&T/Verizon/Sprint does, lower upfront phone cost but insane cost of service locked in for 24 months.

And who cares about unlimited texting when nowadays people use Kakao/Viper/Whatsapp/GoogleVoice? Text message costs almost nothing to the carriers, I think it should actually be free with any plans.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Retail price for iPhone 16GB is around $700. Nexus 4 is bit of a special case as it is sold at zero profit or small loss ( for Google ), in limited markets, in an effort to spread the ad-coverage.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Payment plan to buy the phone... Although the bundling of lines is new, the rate plans seem to be no different than the pre-paid plan currently in play. I am curious to know if there are still going to be erroneous fees and surcharges that are the standard in regular contracted plans or if it will follow the route of the pre-paid plans and include the fees and surcharges in the quoted prices.

beethree

Honorable
May 23, 2012
This plan reminds me of the type of plan I got when I was in Korea. You paid cheaper monthly phone bills but it averaged out when you paid for the phone as well.

The plus side to this is T-Mobile letting it's customers tether for free. Meaning people can use their 4G service as Wi-Fi for their other devices off unlimited without paying what, the 50 or so dollars more a month that other carriers force you to pay? It was like that in Korea, I tethered my phone to my iPod and Galaxy Tab.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well, I know what company I will be with when my "contract" ends with AT&T. I have seven lines (6 smartphones) currently, and even having to go to 2 family plans (T-Mobile maxes out at 5 lines), this would save me a bucket load of money a month.

Let's just hope the other carriers offer a similar plan so we can all win.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]catfishtx[/nom]Let's just hope the other carriers offer a similar plan so we can all win.[/citation]

Yes hopefully ATT will follow suit by the end of the year, otherwise it's byebye for me as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.