Custom rebuild...advice and opinions please...

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Hi,

I have just recently updated my PC and wanted to see if anyone could see if I may encounter any problems with bottlenecks on the GPU or major flaws that could easily be improved...

I have just brought a gigabyte GTX660 oc ti to replace my gtx460

The rest of the system is as follows;

12gb 1333mhz ballistix ram

Gigabyte 990fx ud3 motherboard

Phenom II 965 black edition (not over clocked) with artic cooling freezer 7 heatsink

Soundblaster audigy zs2 (I use for midi work)

Coolermaster 430 Glite case incorporating 6 fans

I want to know if this spec is going to keep me playing games at good rates on a 1080p HDTV

Also would it be worth keeping the gtx460 as a dedicated physx card?

Any help, ideas or constructive critism is greatly appreciated

Cheers :0)
Shu

The setup looks good. But in some games which are CPU dependent as well, you might find a slight lag @ High resolutions with High details. Overall that setup will be able to play most of the games @1080p say medium-high settings.

What PSU do you have ?

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

Hmmm only medium to high? Really I was hoping mainly high or more, what would I need to achieve that? One of the newer amd fx chips?

I have a cit 750w power supply, that be efficient enough?

Thanks for your reply!

I am not saying you will not be able to play @ High or more, it completely depends on the games that you will play.
But say if you play with full AA and AF, then @ 1080p, graphic intensive games will take a hit @ that resolution.

The FX might be a little better,... Also if not going SLI, better to go with 970X board and save money there.

As for the PSU, I have not heard of CIT, but a 750W should be fine.
Actually a high quality ~600W PSUs from Antec/ Corsair/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ XFX/ Bequiet will do the job and is preferred.

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I already have all the parts, I wanted the board for the Dolby digital spdif, which I have to say has some of the best sound quaintly I've heard even better than dedicated blu ray

I'll only be gaming on the HDTV screen so 1080p is my limit and I can live without AA if needs be, I always think when the resolution is that high or high it doesn't seem as significant than lower res

Do you think the 460 is worth using as a dedicated physx card, or would it be overkill...or even a power strain to the psu?

Hmm.. GTX 460 for dedicated PhysX is actually a little bit of overkill...
Is this the PSU you have ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-750W-Power-Supply-Rails/dp/B002Q8HFEI
If Yes, then I wouldnt risk running 2 GPUs of it. Actually I dont think it has the connectors too. Also for the GTX 660Ti you would need 2x 6 Pin PCIe power connectors whereas the PSU has only 1. So you would have to do with a adapter.
So my suggestion would be, sell the GTX 460, with the money get a good PSU.

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Yes that's the one...it was high power for a reasonable price when I brought a while ago, I've never had a problem with it, apart from reliability is there any real reason to worry about getting a big named brand psu, are there any other real benefits?

I was thinking I could use power adapters to create the other 2 plugs for the GPU using splitter cables, but if its not worth it u could always use the cash for something else..

If you were to recommend the next purchase what would it be?

Some of the advantages of a good quality PSU
- Lower noise,
- Stable voltage output
- High efficiency -> Power savings
- Peace of mind that your PC wont blow up,.. ;)

And next purchase ? PSU ?

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Haha good point, well made! ;)

What would you recommend for that set up, I can't really afford to spend a fortune on anything but would want something with enough power to cover me if I did go sli or use the 460

Thanks for all your replies, grealy appreciated!

^ From US or UK ?
Assuming from UK,
If going with only 1 GPU,
http://www.ebuyer.com/245671-antec-520w-high-current-gamer-psu-0761345-06205-3
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-antec-neo-eco-0-761345-285209-modular-82-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v23-p

If you want to go with 2 cards,
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-ocz-technology-zs-series-ocz-zs750w-uk-86-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-at
http://www.ebuyer.com/429987-corsair-cx-series-cx-750m-atx-power-supply-cp-9020061-uk

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
That's great, cheers bud! I was looking at some of the corsair ones, so ill look to go with one of those, hopefully mine will be ok in the short term until I get the cash for the upgrade

Already had offers in my gtx460! So that's a start :)

Cheers once again for the replies!

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

Hi, been looking around and found this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008RJZR40

Do you think this would do if I kept the 460 on as physx or went sli in future...and whilst waiting on the new psu will the 660 be ok on it's on with the cheap psu for a lil while?

You have me worried now lol

If you will be running the 660 alone for now, then your current PSU should be okay... But I would highly recommend you to replace it with a good one asap.
Yes that 750W Corsair PSUs would handle 2 cards without any issues.

ShuDog

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Well cheers for all your advice ( and costing me £70 on a psu I never knew I needed lol)

All up and running now...getting 60fps on bioshock infinite ultra settings so I'm well happy!

And everything's running fine..now to start looking into over clocking the CPU now

Cheers :)

Hmm good.... ;) And about the PSU, well it can be reused later on as quality PSUs last long...so spending a little bit more is fine,...
As about overclocking, you might want to add an aftermarket CPU cooler,... would keep ur CPU cooler and allow for higher overclocking...