Need Advice First build Bitfenix Prodigy

Hi,

I am making my first ever gaming pc because i got tired of the horrid visuals on the PS3. I have a budget of $1000 BUT that would be including taxes and shipping (13% taxes on everything, CANADA CURSE YOU). I need a mini ITX case because of space constraints so i chose the bitfenix prodigy. The energy bills are also off the charts here so I need a PSU that is 80 Plus Platinum. Also I will not be overclocking anything hence the B75M board.

Order of importance:
GAMING, HD MOVIES, BASIC WORK (word)
I will not be doing any video editing, or photoshop or any other such thing

This is the build I am planning on buying:

BUILD
CPU: i3 3220
GPU: Galaxy GC GTX 670 (has gtx 680 pcb and cooling and is factory OC)
MOBO: ASrock B75M ITX
RAM: 8GB GSkill Ripjaws
HDD: Seagate Barricuda 1TB 7200rpm
PSU: Rosewill FORTRESS Series FORTRESS-550W (80 plus platinum)
CASE: Bitfenix Prodigy (white because it's $15 cheaper here than black)

I have some concerns:

-Is this the best gaming build I can buy for the money ($1000 including 13% tax)?
-Will the GTX 670 be bottlenecked by the i3 3220?
-Is the 550W PSU enough for all these components?
-Will the stock fan configuration in the Bitfenix Prodigy (white) provide enough cooling for everything (no overclocking) or will I have to purchase more case fans?
-Do I need an aftermarket cooler for my CPU?

This will need to be reasonably future proofed (2 years or more). I only game on 1080p but would love to max everything out (except for max AA). If the CPU is too much of a bottleneck then I might upgrade to i5 but will only be able to do so next year.

This is my first time building, would love any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about advice build bitfenix prodigy
  1. PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/MqpJ
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/MqpJ/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/MqpJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.28 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.96 @ NCIX)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.37 @ NCIX)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($276.83 @ NCIX)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.08 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($96.03 @ NCIX)
    Total: $968.53
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-26 18:50 EDT-0400)
  2. But will an i5 with HD 7870 provide better gaming performance than i3 with gtx 670? And what about the cooling? Will it be enough wit stock config
  3. To be quite honest, the HD 7870 is a great graphics card. It completely slaughters the GTX 660 and is just about as good as the GTX 660 Ti. For your HD gaming, I would go for a HD 7970 which you can get for about $450. It completely mushes the GTX 670 at just about everything and will be a great GPU for HD gaming. However, for HD gaming, you honestly do not need a video card that expensive and advanced. A HD 7950 would do you fine for about $300.
    To answer your other questions:

-It is a pretty good gaming PC for your budget but if I were you I would balance the GPU and CPU out a bit more - maybe go for an i5-3570K and a HD 7870.
    -The GTX 670 may be bottlenecked on the most demanding HD gaming but should be fine for less demanding games.
    -The 550W PSU should be fine unless you consider using a card with a larger power consumption. www.hwcompare.com is a good website to compare video cards.
    -If I were you, I would go for a few more BitFenix Spectre Pro fans. Maybe 1 or 2 at $13 a piece.
    -You only need an after market cooler for your CPU if you want to overclock it or want super-quiet cooling. As the i3-3220 is a locked CPU, it cannot be overclocked, so you're fine there.

And, as this is your first time buidling, BE SURE TO TAKE ELECTROSTATIC PRECAUTIONS. Thanks for reading! :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming bitfenix prodigy i3 3220 PlayStation Build gtx 670 Systems