played games early

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I played doom when i was very young like 10 14 years old
I wondered if you guys had done so too

Its a strange question

are you guys mentally healthy who played doom or games when played before 18 .

how young were you.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Without getting too deep into this, I have a degree in psychology and have worked in behavioral health for the last ten years.

Based on research and experience, there is virtually no correlation between violent video games and violent activities. Some inherently violent people may play video games and decide to act them out, but that's no different from someone copying a violent movie or imitating violent music.

In short, playing Doom or anything else won't damage you mentally. If anything, many people have found video games to be therapeutic due to either increased cognitive stimulation, or simply working through PTSD.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I have undergone psykosis in my "later" years (im 29) .. its not for violence i am asking it is for psychosis. so you mean it has no correlation?

what is ptsd?

Thanks for your good answer.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
No, Doom (and video games in general) have nothing to do with whatever psychiatric issues you've dealt with.

PTSD is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
It's when people have a hard time dealing with very hard events they've experienced, and it causes significant problems in their every day living (although not necessarily in obvious ways).

But again, this is in no way video game related.