Pro setup rating

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
It's rather hard to find a windows 7 desktop running a good ssd to match preferences.

no need for much storage, just pure speed to keep efficiency up. This will run programs from the ssd and retrieve files from the server.

dual monitors. the 24" monitors were too big last time, they're on a short desk. we'll be moving those to this rig and using these 21.5" monitors on the previous build.

any suggestions are welcome, and if there is a dell pro system that would work better, please share. Otherwise, just part suggestions please.

the rest is self explanatory
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LKeu

edit: yes, this will be overclocked

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hmm looks good. What sort of programs will you be running on it? You might be better off with an i7 depending on the programs.

The one thing I don't like is the Samsung 840. It uses TLC NAND, which is not as fast and has about half the lifespan of MLC NAND. If you're retrieving a lot of files from a server and stuff (i.e. a lot of writes to disk) this is quite important (as well as the better speed it brings). The Samsung 840 Pro for example has MLC NAND, but is quite a bit higher in price for the 250gb model ($230). If you want to stick to the same price, I'd honestly recommend the Samsung 830 or maybe a Sandisk Ultra Plus. It may seem a bit strange to go for the 830 over the 840, but the 840 Pro is the true successor to the excellent 830, and the 840 is a new, more budget oriented line from Samsung.

M

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
It'll run some tax software, Microsoft office, chrome, iTunes.

2 questions:
Will it change the life of the drive if I take off some of the virtual memory?
Is the case big enough for the 212 evo?