Need some advice on building computers.

jv6133

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I'm going to be working full-time at my current part-time job so I want to know if it is worth the next two months of work. My main purpose is to build a computer that can handle games at max settings and last me over the next few years. Am I spending more than I have to?

HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB.

-I was wondering if the extra 3GB from the regular model is truly worth it. I plan on doing Eyefinity but I don't necessarily want to spend extra money on buying a second card.

i7 3930K w/ Corsair H110 cooling.

-I'm not sure if I should even bother overclocking this at all so I was wondering if I should save money by sticking with the stock cooling. Will this processor do well on it's own without overclocking for games?

Asus Rampage IV Extreme

-I'm not quite sure what the point of an expensive motherboard is, but I heard it is essential for overclocking and reliability. Referring to the overclocking question, what would be a good motherboard for a stock processor that can save me money?

Additional questions:
-Would an internal SSD increase FPS at all?
-I kind of want to try Windows 8, would it be a bad idea for gaming?

Thank you in advance!

Jianni123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013

This is my first answer so sorry if anything goes wrong.
1. A 3GB 7970 should be enough for running eyefinity unless you're going too be running games like skyrim and have It heavily modded and such.

2. If you're only planning too game on this, you could save money by going with the intel 3820 CPU. Which could be overclocked. You could go with a H100/H100i if you're only doing a minor overclock. But too answer your question, I don't think the 3930K will produce much higher frames then the 3820 when it comes too gaming. It will be faster in editing and rendering etc. it all comes down too what you're doing. If its gaming I would choose the 3820 with a H100 and overclock it too around 4.4Ghz. If its for heaving rendering, editing, recording.. The 3930K will be faster and can also be overclocked. It can be overclocked with the stock cooler. Just not alot. It's all your choice to be honest.

3. How much are you paying for that motherboard? If its a cheap deal, I would go for it. It's a brilliant piece of kit. With lots of room for memory and such items. Some people overclock with a low end motherboard. The high end ones can sometimes be classed for the enthusiast gamers. I like the Asrock Extreme 9 X79 motherboard. I don't know how much it is compared too the RIVE you're looking at.

4. An SSD will not affect gaming performance in any way. Any games loaded on the SSD will load up faster but it will not increase frame rate. In some instances you may get a 1 fps increase or even decrease. So I would not worry about SSD along with gaming.

5. Windows 8 can be buggy at times with games and cause certain problems. I would say stick with Windows 7 for now as it has always worked too me. I had tried Windows 8 but I did not like the interface and some games was crashing.

Hope I can help. 

as far as your gpu is concerned have a look at recent charts (toms hardware has a charts area) to see what FPS numbers you will be looking at.

most people pick an i5 over i7 if all they plan on doing is gaming. you do NOT need an aftermarket cooler and can use the stock cooler unless you do some serious overclocking. if you do buy a cooler go big air over liquid cooling.

i personally own the asus rampage III extreme rog. it is rock solid. with that said, you can go with a cheaper motherboard and still get good performance.

a ssd will not increase frame rate in games. it will however decrease game startup times and level loading times. your windows speed will also be faster as well as halving boot up times of your pc. its a good investment if you have the cash. if you dont, a normal 7200 will work fine.

every other itteration of windows has been crap.
win95 (crap)
win98 (good)
win2000/me (crap)
win xp (good)
win vista (crap)
win7 (good)

where does that put win8? bad track record for microsoft. the reason is that every other version is recoded and is fundamentally different. the following version is a "fixed" version with just a few extra features. think of how win7 is a fixed win vista.

i would stay with win7.

TRENDING THREADS