Computer Random Shutdown

FatelBlade

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
My computer was custom built via ibuypower, and it used to run perfectly. I've kept it clean of virus's and the like, and I clean out the dust regularly. However, recently, the computer would randomly shut down. There would be no warning, it would just stop. I thought this was a problem with having two monitors, so I disabled one, but the problem persists. I don't know whats wrong with it.

Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
PSU: Xion 700W
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, ~2.8 GHz
RAM: Two 2G Sticks

I consider myself decent with computers, and I believe that it is an issue with the GPU overheating, or the PSU malfunctioning, however I am not sure if this is an issue with the components themselves or a software glitch. I have tried starting my computer in safe mode, but the problem persists.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Have you checked the Windows Crash log or are you not able to get to that point without crashing? If the latter then I suggest checking your CPU fan or PSU as the GPU shouldn't overheat and crash under minimal load.

FatelBlade

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I have went to the reliability log, and while it mostly consists of telling me Windows was not properly shut down, there is one instance of a video hardware error. This does not account for all of the other shut downs however.

FatelBlade

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
You are correct, there is no blue screen. The computer just shuts off without warning. If this is a PSU problem, would the only way to correct it be buying a new PSU?

Nuan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Have you checked your CPU overheating issue? This happens due to CPU overheating too. Check the CPU if the heatsink dried or not.