Trading Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello all! I'm in sort of a sticky situation. So! My mother just baught a new PC. It's an HP pavilion but it came with Windows 8 installed on it. It didn't come with an installer CD of any kind but on the side of the PC case it as the Windows 8 CD key. On my computer I have windows 7 and I do have the instal CD so thats no problem. Both operating systesm are 64bit so thats also not an issue. My mother doesn't like Windows 8 and she is used to XP and Windows 7 is much more like XP than Windows 8 obviously so I agreed to switch with her because I hear Windows 8 is a tad bit better in some games, I also kinda like the interface of Windows 8 and a change will be nice and new. My question to you guys is how can I trade operating systems with her without the Windows 8 instal CD? I want to do it perfectly legally so I don't want to torrent it or whatever, even though I think it would be legal because I have a key? If so let me know! I'm not trying to promote torrenting or whatever I'm just curious! I'm not to good with installing OS's and what not so any help will be excellent! Thanks guys

Solution
I'm am going to assume that both computers came with the OS's preinstalled, if so you cannot do it legally as it would be a breach of the OEM end user license agreement.

The only way to do it legally is to purchase Windows 8 Pro OEM for each computer and use the downgrade rights to install Windows 7 on the HP.

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I'm am going to assume that both computers came with the OS's preinstalled, if so you cannot do it legally as it would be a breach of the OEM end user license agreement.

The only way to do it legally is to purchase Windows 8 Pro OEM for each computer and use the downgrade rights to install Windows 7 on the HP.

Solution

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
No actually the computer I am using was built by me so I had to buy the Windows 7 CD from Tiger Direct. My mother's computer on the other hand did come with it pre-installed. She just doesn't like Windows 8 so she wants to switch with me. That stinks if I can't do it because we legally purchased both OS's therefore Microsoft wouldn't be losing any money. I guess I understand though. There isn't any way around it?

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

If the Windows 7 you bought was the retail version then you can transfer it to the HP (though I expect HP will no longer give you software support). If it was OEM then you cannot transfer it. Yep I agree M$'s transfer restrictions blow big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.