Why No "Pick as the solution" Button/Link?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Does anyone know why, when on a thread that someone else started, on each and every response to the original poster, I can click on a link/button "Pick as the solution", but, on threads that I start, there are no buttons on ANY response by anybody that offers me the button "Pick as the solution"? Isn't that backwards?

What business do I have of picking solutions to other people's questions, and, why cannot I designate solutions to my own?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished

Well, I thought I was posting them as questions. I mean, they WERE questions, but perhaps there's another way to start one than to click on the "Post a New Thread" button.

By the way, what's the difference between "Reply to Mousemonkey", and "Post an answer"?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
OK, but that still does not explain why, even on this question thread I started, I see no option on any of the replies for me to "pick a solution". Yet I see it on almost every other thread I read. Why would the system let ME pick a solution to someone else's question. But not my own?

Hi :)

Because less scrupulous new users could get a LOT of Best Answers VERY quickly if the site allowed that...

All the best Brett :)

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
OK. So who exactly does select the "best answer"? The moderator? Do readers vote on it? That would explain why readers see the "pick a solution" button when we read threads. Was this explained somewhere after the redesign and I missed it?

randomizer

Champion
Be sure to check the "Ask the Community" checkbox when posting a new thread. This will set it as a Question thread, and will expose that button to you. This thread is a Discussion thread, which is the default, hence it has no such button even for moderators. Note that we are able to change the thread type if necessary.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Tthe OP is supposed to be able to when they go to edit their first post. They have to check or uncheck "Ask the Community", and that should change the thread type.

For some reason when I try this since the new platform, it doesn't change anything. Bug?

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Don't remember. It was some time ago.

Try creating a thread in test section and see if it's possible to change the type.

thing to note: I do access toms from a mobile device quite frequently, so I guess that changes and limits my experience to some extent.

randomizer

Champion

I noted this as a bug when the forum was in beta. I was told to use the moderation tools instead. That doesn't help you though :(

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I created a thread in the test section. You cannot change the type. You just get "No change in topic" when you check/uncheck "Ask the Community" and if you do change some of the text, it doesn't change the thread type.