Building my first gaming rig, could use advice!

Angron

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hello all, ive been reading up on this website for a while now(specially the past couple weeks) to get an idea on what to get. I've narrowed it down to a few parts and I'm making this post for advice on what parts may not work to well together or if there's just a flat out better part I'm missing out on(mostly cause im incredibly ignorant to mostly everything with spec's of computers :( )

Anyways here's an idea of the sum of the comp (as well as the copy&paste template to give a better idea on what I'm going for) as well as a link to the parts ive chosen on pcpartpicker(at the bottom).

Approximate Purchase Date: Asap!

Budget Range: around 2,500$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming all the way!

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: yes, but doing so already

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: just the vid card, which i prefer Nvidia

Overclocking: No, never really.

SLI or Crossfire: not really sure what that is :( , my is guess no

Your Monitor Resolution: getting something that will be top end not exactly sure, probably 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Looking to have this running games for the next few years(i do my best to take care of my towers to make them last) current aim would be something that plays Arma 3, BF 3 and anything around that to be played at max performance.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: old comp is just to sluggish for the newer games running gtx 460 and one of the first quad cores that hit the market..

here's the Pcpartpicker link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrAe
and a typed list incase the link for some reason doesn't work

Cpu: Intel i7-3770k
Heatsink: coolermaster Hyper 212
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H
Video card: EVGA Geforce GTX680 2G
SSD: Samsung 840-pro MZ-7PD128BW
Tower case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case
Network card: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK
HardDrive: N/A yet. was going to just pick something with a lot of room on it, wouldnt hurt to get advice for it too(just figured its always pretty simple when its the harddrive)
Memory: N/A yet, could use advice :(
Power supply:N/A " "

What i could use advice on is, what memory sticks and Power supply to get. And if the mother board is a good choice for all the parts. Couple things im really unsure about is the cooler master, i pretty much leave my comp on all day so trying to get something thats going to keep it in good condition for years(and yes i'll obviously be cleaning out the dust inside every now and then to ensure that!) and the SSD, i know it doesn't make gaming faster but the idea of loading times being insanely fast is just appealing to me and i have the money for it. just unsure if its a ridiculous over kill

well that pretty much covers it, hoping I'm not forgetting a obvious question i need to ask. With the incredibly savvy people on these forums I'm looking forward to the replies! and sorry for the sloppy grammar.

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
A 2TB Seagate Barracuda or 2TB WD Blue would work fine here.

8GB of 1600mhz is the way to go, you will not need any more. If you really want to you can get 16GB but it is unnecessary.

Any 500w PSU from Corsair Seasonic Silverstone or XFX would do.

Finally get a 7970, it performs better than the 680 in both the games at max settings.

Everything else is fine, nice picks, best wishes with your build.

Angron

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Thought for the power supply it would need to be at least 600w, and the seagate is something im probably going to pick thanks. I've had issues with WD drives and read a ridiculous amount of complaints against them too. For the vid card I feel like i gotta stick with the GTX680! Just read too many arguments with it and most of the major forums pro's always give it a good review over a lot of cards(plus im a little bit of a Nvidia fan :p ). thanks for the quick reply that much closer to getting this put together!

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Well if you are going down the nvidia path, get the 670 it's 5% slower but you can overclock it to the 680 without a problem. This will save you about $100.

Angron

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
guessing you don't know anything about the motherboard? ive had issues with getting one before for my friend. made me paranoid about it not working with the heatsink or some of the other parts heh. guess there are too many posts like this one to have people look at it *whine face*

TRENDING THREADS