Is my CPU bottlenecking GPU in Bioshock Infinite?

linguaphonic

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
First post here and I was hoping that somebody could provide insight into a problem I've had recently.

I have one of those too-many-cores-too-little-clock-speed mac pro's with 2x2.26 nehalem quad cores, 16 GB of RAM, and a recently upgraded GTX660Ti. Most people would say my CPU is too slow but as of now I haven't had problems eeking 50-60 FPS out of the games I play on high or ultra settings so I really haven't found reason to complain.

That is, except Bioshock Infinite; basically on ultra setting it runs along at 60FPS but there's a fair amount of stuttering in places and, more importantly, GPU usage usually seems to hang at around 80-85%. Is this a sign that my CPU is too weak to push it at these settings? If I bring the settings down to medium or low I get even framerates and my cards usage barely goes over 45%. Other recent games (BF3, Tomb Raider etc.) push the card to 99% no problem, so I'm confused as to why this one new game would be an exception...

Running it in conjunction with resource monitor reveals overall CPU usage at like 40% but that's probably because there are 16 logical cores - even looking at individual cores though, many of them are at 90% but none of them are at 100%.

Thoughts? I don't have the wherewithal to upgrade my CPUs right now but at the very least I would like to try and figure out what exactly is going on...

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Mitigate stuttering: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XEngine.ini. Search the file for PoolSize and increase the value (640 would be a good starting point).

This might help with the issues you're having.

TRENDING THREADS