Is XFX a good brand for the 7950?

Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
the guy is right, that XFX cooler is infamous, barely beats a reference card in GPU cooling, and has virtually no VRAM cooling, either pay more for a good card or less for a good card (the 7870 XT/LE is a great card)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: For every person who says any brand is bad, you're bound to find another who swears that brand is amazing. And look, you've found one! People are often quick to judge a brand based on a single experience, and one experience is an extremely small sample size.

For the record, I've owned PC parts from LOTS of manufacturers, with XFX just being one of the many. I've had two XFX cards (a 4890 and 4670), and both have been going strong for nearly four years in their respective systems. However, the first 4890 I received from Newegg suffered from horrible high-pitch coil whine, and had to be RMA'd and exchanged. Coil whine is something that can affect almost any electronic device that uses ferrite coils. A look into Newegg's 1- through 3-egg ratings for the Seasonic X650 PSU (Seasonic is a brand from which everyone in the industry expects only the best quality) shows that even Seasonic has products that are sometimes still affected (plagued) by coil whine issues.

Every brand has its pluses and minuses, be it better-than-reference custom cooling solutions, excellent tech support, modding support, or excellent warranty coverage. With XFX, the biggest plus is often the warranty (lifetime on most models w/ registration), and support, be it technical support, or XFX's willingness to allow owners to install aftermarket cooling and/or card modifications.

XFX techs have always been there for me, even when I've asked for information on products I don't own. Through XFX support (and I may have been the first person on these forums to do it), I was able to confirm that no HD5000-series cards were available with a PCIE-2.0 interface instead of the standard 2.1 interface, even though many e-tailers/retailers were advertising them as 2.0 cards and misleading potential buyers. And that's not the only time their tech support team has assisted me with problems that didn't apply directly to products I owned.

You have to take things salespeople tell you while in a store with a grain of salt, and any salesperson who doesn't stand behind a product offered for sale in his/her store doesn't belong there in the first place.

dknightxs

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
i have had used 3 xfx gpus in the past all the way from 7600gt to 8600gt to hd6850 and all those cards died after 4-5 months of use... so yes XFX isnt a good brand...
what i would suggest u is try to get a sapphire or a ASUS dcuii gpu as they are the most reliable brands 7870XT is nearly as good as a hd7950 so u wont be missing much + 7870xt has some wicked Overclocking potential just like the 7970