Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Laptop Video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2013 9:40:27 PM

Hello all i an new is to computers and i feel it is cheaper to just upgrade my graphics card rather than buy a whole now computer. i have a precision m6300 i currently have Qudro fx 1600m and i want to upgrade for gaming perpouses. it uses a Pci-e 1.1 x16, gddr3, bus with 128 bit, 80nm tech, and 289m transistors i hope this is enough information, also if their is any way i can get an accessory that can help just not a whole new computer or anything that will coust as much
a c 260 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2013 9:34:05 AM

You often can't change the video card in a laptop, especially a proprietary card as is in your Dell. If you can find one, and you're comfortable dismantling a laptop, you can swap it out with the 3600M 512MB. Dell uses their own style mount for that, and I doubt anything else would fit.

Add to that your M6300 is a workstation machine, not a gaming machine. You'll end up chasing down the wrong road trying to forcefit it into gaming.
March 27, 2013 12:21:49 PM

how well will this increase performance? is it worth it, and im fine with taking my computer apart i have don it before. Also i was wondering if their is any gaming cards that could fit or maby the vidoc, or should i just get a new rig. if so can you direct me to a good build it my self type of pc for a modest price $500-700
Related resources
a c 260 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2013 12:40:43 PM

supper1267 said:
how well will this increase performance? is it worth it, and im fine with taking my computer apart i have don it before. Also i was wondering if their is any gaming cards that could fit or maby the vidoc, or should i just get a new rig. if so can you direct me to a good build it my self type of pc for a modest price $500-700

I'm pretty sure those are the only two cards that will fit the proprietary interface.

The change from 1600M to 3600M is going from 256MB to 512MB. Probably not a change in architecture, just a change in the memory size. So probably not a major change for gaming.
After a quick look, I found a 3600M at Amazon (linked from an external seller) for $260.

Only you can determine if $260 is worth it to you for what is probably a marginal change.
March 27, 2013 8:09:11 PM

thank you very helpful
March 27, 2013 8:45:58 PM

i do want to know if my video card meets the minimum settings but doesn't have enough detected ram will it still run on lowest settings
!