Upgrade Laptop Video card

supper1267

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hello all i an new is to computers and i feel it is cheaper to just upgrade my graphics card rather than buy a whole now computer. i have a precision m6300 i currently have Qudro fx 1600m and i want to upgrade for gaming perpouses. it uses a Pci-e 1.1 x16, gddr3, bus with 128 bit, 80nm tech, and 289m transistors i hope this is enough information, also if their is any way i can get an accessory that can help just not a whole new computer or anything that will coust as much

USAFRet

Titan
You often can't change the video card in a laptop, especially a proprietary card as is in your Dell. If you can find one, and you're comfortable dismantling a laptop, you can swap it out with the 3600M 512MB. Dell uses their own style mount for that, and I doubt anything else would fit.

Add to that your M6300 is a workstation machine, not a gaming machine. You'll end up chasing down the wrong road trying to forcefit it into gaming.

supper1267

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
how well will this increase performance? is it worth it, and im fine with taking my computer apart i have don it before. Also i was wondering if their is any gaming cards that could fit or maby the vidoc, or should i just get a new rig. if so can you direct me to a good build it my self type of pc for a modest price $500-700

USAFRet

Titan

I'm pretty sure those are the only two cards that will fit the proprietary interface.

The change from 1600M to 3600M is going from 256MB to 512MB. Probably not a change in architecture, just a change in the memory size. So probably not a major change for gaming.
After a quick look, I found a 3600M at Amazon (linked from an external seller) for $260.

Only you can determine if $260 is worth it to you for what is probably a marginal change.

supper1267

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
i do want to know if my video card meets the minimum settings but doesn't have enough detected ram will it still run on lowest settings