First PC build, PLEASE HELP! :)

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
*updated EVERYTHING so please read it again*
Hello! This is my first pc build and i could use some help with all of it :D. Mostly i will be gaming, but some of my time will go to 3D animation stuff (i.e. blender and other programs). My budget top is 2000 which i think should get me a really nice build. In the future i will want to get a 3 monitor display going and i think i have what I need to make that happen, but if you spot a problem, please tell! If you have any helpful tips, suggestions, or any useful info for me it would be much appreciated! Thank you for helping! Here is my build so far.....

CPU: i7-3770k 3.5 ghz

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (If you have better one for my purposes please tell)

Ram (memory): Vengeance® — G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Graphics card: EVGA gtx 680 4gb

System case: Cooler Master HAF X

Power supply unit: HELP! Is Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750) good?

Hard drive: something with one Terabyte*

And I have no clue what DVD drive i need!*

All the rest i am reusing (monitor,speakers,mouse,keyboard) and don't need for now(though if you have suggestions for my multi monitor display, that would be good) thank you for reading it! Please help! *suggestions please! Thank you! :)

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
My opinion, you look good but read some more about the parts you have chosen so far, there are a lot of different 680s in the market for example (with minor differences). I would recommend against SLI, though you dont mention it, yet. And read some more about Hard Disk Drives and what you can do. For example a RAID array for backup in case a drive fails. Or having the OS on SSD and the rest on a larger HDD...

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
To tell you the truth...i really haven't looked a lot at video cards... Anyway i am still looking, researching, and getting really confused...lots of parts to choose.....i just don't want a system that i pay a lot of money for, and not get the full potential i payed for.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
The 7970 does support Eyefinity, which allows support for up to 6 monitors via the card. The MoBo also supports USB 3.0. You could also get a USB 3.0 to DVI adapter. Don't get the cheaper USB 2.0 to DVI. Via USB the quality might be a bit hindered. USB 3.0 adapters should reduce low quality issues. The advantage is they can sometimes support up to 10-12 monitors. Sounds like it's a bit overkill for you, but it gives you an idea of what your system would be able to power.

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Wow! Thanks for all that.....i was think more 3 at most for the monitors....uhh but yeah I just need to know if i have the right parts....i don't want to bottle neck my system because of a lower quality component...i just need some expert help to check my parts and makes sure i have the right one for the job and I'm not paying for something i don't need... But thanks for your comment! It was very informative! :)

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Anytime. With Eyefinity, sometimes you may need to purchase another eyfinity adapter for the extra monitors. Usually between $20-$40. You just have to make sure the adapter supports eyefinity. Find them easily on newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, etc.

MentalTiger

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Also, your power supply will be important. For such a power hungry build, I would recommend at least a 600w power supply. Corsair are an excellent power supply maker. I recently bought a GS600 power supply, and is flawless so far! And, for the case, I recommend a Cooler Master case, like the Haf XM. CoolerMaster cases have excellent options for cable management, which is very important to make sure that your components stay cool and less cables lying about in the case means better airflow.

That was probably very confusing, so do tell me if I was a bit too computer-lingoey :)

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for the comment! I read all of that...and at the very last sentience, i just had to laugh! I understood all of that! I am becoming a "nerd" AND I PROUD OF IT! Haha! Anyway....thank you for the suggestions, i will look into those! Im just glad someone can help me! :D

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ok thanks! Lots of info you have there! I appreciate all of it! But uhh, do you know much about nvidia's multi-monitor display? I forgot what it's called...3D surround...maybe? Well anyway, the reason i ask is because I'm kinda leaning towards the GTX 680, i don't know what manufacture though. But if you have info on that just anxious to come out, i would appreciate all you have to say! That, to me, is just a big black whole and i don't know anything about it....and Eyefinity is AMD...so if i go with nvidia's g-force GTX 680 i will have to settle with 3d surround...i think...maybe you
Can fill me in! I would love to hear what you have to say! Thank you! :)

MentalTiger

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Ok, for a three monitor set up, I would recommend getting at least 2 of whatever card. Then, when the two cards are installed, you must get what is known as an SLI bridge. This means that you get as much power from the components as possible and the GFX cards work together to reduce any lag on monitors BUT, and this is a big but, nVidia recommend only to use 2 monitors when in SLI mode. So, in conclusion, you would probably be better off with something like an ATI 7970, or something like that if you really want to use 3 displays.

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Well....that's a problem.....the more i read, the more i am leaning towards he GTX 680 and now with what you said....i don't know...you do t think the 680 is powerful enough to support 3 monitors? :O i will look more into this...thank you anyway! :)

MentalTiger

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Sorry, I must have typed something wrong...
If you want to use 3 monitors, go ahead, becuase there are at least 3 display ports on the 680. In SLI mode, you need another graphics card, and you can only use 2 monitors. Or, if your motherboard allows, buy a graphics card for each monitor, though that would be a rather expensive option. For GeForce cards, I would always recommend using either EVGA, Gigabyte, or Asus.
Personally, I would go for the EVGA version, but thats just opinion.

Super_Jim

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Sorry, I must have typed something wrong...
If you want to use 3 monitors, go ahead, becuase there are at least 3 display ports on the 680. In SLI mode, you need another graphics card, and you can only use 2 monitors. Or, if your motherboard allows, buy a graphics card for each monitor, though that would be a rather expensive option. For GeForce cards, I would always recommend using either EVGA, Gigabyte, or Asus.
Personally, I would go for the EVGA version, but thats just opinion.
[/quotemsg]

Ok thanks! Yeah i am going with EVGA and.....i think i will be buying pc parts this weekend! Im really exited! I just need the PSU.....and I will be searching that all of my free time! Thanks for all your help!

MentalTiger

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Ok thanks! Yeah i am going with EVGA and.....i think i will be buying pc parts this weekend! Im really exited! I just need the PSU.....and I will be searching that all of my free time! Thanks for all your help!
[/quotemsg]

OK, I've been stupid :p It is possible to run 3 monitors in SLI mode, but it would require 3 graphics cards.
For a power supply the TX750 should be OK, but I would recommend getting the TX750M, in which the M stands for modular. With a modular power supply, any cables that aren't being used can be detached from the power unit, and stored elsewhere, to save room in your case, and it's better for cable management.

For your hard drive (presuming your not getting an SSD), I would recommend a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black. Great high performance drive.

And, for your DVD drive, anything that is Dual Layer I would recommend. Samsung make DVD drives, so go look around there. I am getting mine from Amazon, it's £16.50, but if your in the US, something like this would be great: http://www.amazon.com/Lite-On-Super-AllWrite-Layer-Drive/dp/B002YIG9AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364988200&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+layer+dvd+drive

Hope I helped :)