Cyclic Redundancy Check

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I've been using uTorrent for quite a while to download things, but I've just recently built my PC - been about 6 months. Dude called Proximon helped me out, really nice guy and in the end the build turned out fine.

Regardless, since then I've been using uTorrent a lot, and yesterday whilst downloading a torrent, I got an error - Data error (cyclic redundancy check) - just before the error popped up, what I believe to be my hard disk made a really weird noise, almost like it was choking.

Hard drive has been fine since, and everything seems to be working, I used Auslogics Repair Disk feature and there weren't any errors, can't seem to get chkdisk going though - even when I attempt to force a dismount.

Only thing I'm worried about is the HDD dying, it's only been a few months and I should have it covered under warranty, but my question is, is this a definite sign that my HDD is dying?

Cheers
-Faheem

Solution
Use speedfan or some other free utility to check the SMART status of the drive. Also, you didn't mention the make/model of the drive. Anyhow, go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their drive tool (seagate = seatools, WD = WD lifeguard,...) and run some tests on the drive. If it fails the drive manufacturer's tests and it's still under warranty you should have no problems getting an RMA.

Also, if you have concerns, start backing up data now.
Use speedfan or some other free utility to check the SMART status of the drive. Also, you didn't mention the make/model of the drive. Anyhow, go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their drive tool (seagate = seatools, WD = WD lifeguard,...) and run some tests on the drive. If it fails the drive manufacturer's tests and it's still under warranty you should have no problems getting an RMA.

Also, if you have concerns, start backing up data now.

Solution

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012

It failed the Quick Test - it's a Caviar Blue 500GB

This is what came up...

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAYUM449048
Firmware Number: 15.01H15
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 12:57:14, March 27, 2013

I have no idea what any of that means.

I have another question though, I've used a Laptop before this for well over 3 years and I had no problems with the HDD in it - just had a minor over heating issue but that's fine. The number of torrents I downloaded or the way I generally treated the laptop was lot worse than I've treated this computer (randomly pulling the battery out, force shutting it down etc.) I haven't done any of that to my new build - so what do you think causes this?

Before 2008, I used a computer with a 3GB HDD which was manufactured in the early 90's and I treated that worse than I treated the laptop - but again no problems with that.

Why is it that this happens with new and modern technology and in the past, I didn't encounter many hardware errors?

So yeh, what causes the CRC errors?

Hard drives are mechanical in nature and thus prone to fail eventually. Some bad drives make it past QC (quality control) and into the market. Anyhow, hard drives can die at anytime which is why you should always have backups.

That error code is specific to the WD lifeguard tool so I'm not sure what it means other than the test failed. It failed on a read, so there may be sector damage. You have enough information there to get an RMA from WD. If you bought the drive through Amazon, Newegg, or something, I'd try to RMA through them first as it's sometimes faster than going directly through the drive manufacturer. This is all asuming the drive is still under warranty. The caviar blue's have a 3 year warranty.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I'll make a backup asap. But I have a really tight schedule so I really don't have the time to contact W.D. or Amazon asking for a RMA. Since this happened yesterday, is it possible to predict how long it'll last?

Things are clearing up around June, so I wouldn't mind getting a replacement then, question is, will it last till then?

And thanks for the help you've been giving, I don't get what people get out of helping others on a forum such as this, it's beyond me. :p

Unfortunately there is no way to tell how long it may last. If you check the smart staus of the drive and see reallocated sectors, but the current pending sectors is still at zero then you may have some time left. The current pending sector count doesn't start going up until all spare sectors on the drive are used up. Once that happens, things will get worse.

As to why we help others... because most of us have come to forums for help before and others gave us help. Why not share your experiences with those that need help? Other people are just good eggs all around and enjoy helping people.

Anyhow, good luck to you.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I also got this =(

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 64623 offline uncorrectable sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012

Don't know how often you check the forums but I wanted to give you an update on the situation. The drives still working perfectly - however - the odd file will get corrupt every now and then. I've noticed that it mainly corrupts files on the D drive (which is a partition that I created a while ago).

What do?

I need my PC for work, I'm thinking of purchasing an SSD so even when I do send my HDD off for repair, I still have something to work with.

Also take a look at this: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=7222068&ReportVerification=3817472A

Anything new? I feel as though if my HDD were faulty it would have died a while ago but its kept going.

:S in what context? I don't see that anywhere. You may want to run a chkdsk using both the /F /R to try and recover some of those sectors. google chkdsk if you don't know how to run it.

WARNING: This may take a while and you need to wait until it's finished.

popatim

Titan
I hope you keep updated backups. The drive had alot of bad sectors and were uncorrectible. This means that a large part of the drive is damaged and so many sectors are bad that it ran out of 'reserved sectors' to replace them all. What I woudl do is contact WD for an advance exchange provided you keep backing up your data. This will let you continue to use your computer while waiting for the replacement drive to come. Once you get it you have 30days (i think) to send in your defective drive otherwise they wont refund the price back to your credit card.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012

I don't get what you mean by 'in what context' - I know what the words mean, but I don't understand what you mean when you're using them in this context.

I'm familiar with chkdsk but it seems like nothing too important has been corrupted - aside from Season 2 of The Office and backups of my YouTube videos. For the main part, I've been keeping away from storing important files on the drive, but if it were to die now, I'd still be gutted.

I have such a beautiful machine, with a clean desktop, my lovely photoshop brushes, my YouTube editing stuff, Windows XP partitioned on the machine, movies I love, games, the whole lot. Shame I'll have to re-install everything.

Is there a way to directly clone a drive? - so when I get a new one, all I ideally want to do is clone everything without corrupting the registry's and having everything exactly the way it is now? So the boot sector - the whole lot really.

Think what I'll do is contact WD asking for a replacement - would I be able to get an upgrade by paying more? Guess I'll just have to ask em.

You asked what :S is? I didn't see a :S referenced in any post before you asked this question. I was asking what is this in reference to?

Have you run the full chkdsk?

You can clone a drive, but if the registry or any other files are corrupt, you would just be cloning the damaged data, which is of no use.