SOLVED !! Samsung SSD 840 521MB/s seq read but access time 1.681ms

lamboption

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
USED IRST NON ENTERPRISE DRIVERS AND GOT FULL SPEC EVERYTHING :)

Ive been through about 20 threads and tried everything still no solution.2 weeks and Im kind of stuck , hoping somebody could help pls ?

IRST_VistaWin7_8_VER3601093 is the driver i used for my SATA at install

Secure erased both SSDs.ACHI mode in BIOS.Samsung magician ver3.2 reports firmware upto date. Ran OS optimization.Over provisioning 23.8Gb on F drive , none on C.
Asus Sabertooth x79 ( with latest BIOS),I7 3930 at stock , 14 b Ram, just done clean install win 7 home premium 64 bit (workaround detailed below i have an upgrade key)
2x Samsung Pro 250Gb SSDs connected to intel (brown) Sata 3 6 gbps ports and read/write is good, but on BOTH the 4k write is way too low

Ive done the following:
1) Turned off hibernation "powercfg -h off" in command prompt

2) Turned off drive indexing in C and F drives

3) Shrunk page file to 800 min/1024 max on my c drive

4) Switched to "high performance" power option in Windows, and told HD never to shut down.

5) Although write caching was turned on, I turned off Windows caching (2nd check box) in device manager. I had also heard that sometimes the check box for write caching can get "stuck" so I unchecked it, hit ok, and rechecked it, hit ok.

6) I verified that TRIM was active this way:

Quote:
1.Open the Start Menu, type CMD
2.Right click the icon and Run as Administrator
3.Type fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled

[I doubt its relevant but I did a post install workaround to do a clean install of windows 7 without needing to install XP first:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/21142-upgrade-key-on-clean-install-(pre-and-post-install-workaround)
As a result im also trying to fix an issue whereby i cant create system restore point or do backup ( think i need to copy BCD files or something but still researching)
in any case one of the SSDs is blank and has only 1 partition]
[Perhaps relevant Gparted told me there was a problem with my SSD even after i secure erased and formatted it , telling me to reformat it with NTFS]

My pc was taking ages to load maps in battlefield MP and Farcry SP , was unresponsive in windows , programs appear to have hung at install but then actually do install ( the progress bar never moves then its suddenly finished.Checked RAM and no issues there.
C F
Seq read 519 521
Seq write 300 315
4k read 32 32
4k write 2.34 2.34
4k-64Thrd read 284 285
4k-64Thrd write 18.5 19.7
Acc time read 0.049 failed with error "could not open device \\.\physicaldrive1
Acc time write 1.681 n/a...already failed

So on my sytem drive C , poor random write ( 2 but should be 100+) and access time 50 times too slow
On my F drive slow random write and "could not open device" error when testing access time.

I used Samsung magician to succesfully secure erase both drives . How should i check it worked ok pls ? I can try it again on the f drive which is empty

thanks for your time

lamboption

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
well I reinstalled windows from a USB key with SP1 and this time went straight for all the latest drivers from asus website for my mobo. made no difference.

TRENDING THREADS