CPU Fan Loud

BeerHuntor

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I switched my components from a hp slimline s5760uk into a bigger case, and upgraded to a 500w PSU. My computer is really loud, by the looks of things its coming from my CPU cooling fan. I never noticed the noise as I was transferring it but i didn't have the side of the case on then, nor was it loud in the old slimline case. Now, Is it because its just vibrating the airflow onto the opposite side of the case, and because there is ALOT of space, is just magnifying the sound, or is it another problem. I have tried to slow it down using SpeedFan, but I can't seem to be able to actually slow it down. Basically I can hear my fan going round but its loud, currently running at 1422RPM

Thanks

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
First, unplug all other fans and make sure it's the cpu fan. I find case fans can often resonate in the case and become very loud if not mounted properly. They sell silencer kits, but I've found a little bit of foam tape at the corners helps a lot. If it is your CPU fan, it may be getting ready to die on you and you should consider replacing it.

BeerHuntor

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
OK, i have took my case apart and figured out it was one of the case fans that was making the noise, it was the fan itself as when i took it out of the mouting in the case, it was still noisy so have shut it off until a time where either I really need it or i can replace it.