DIY NAS - need advice on some components

embeathome

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hi, first of all sorry for my english :)

I am trying to find out what components should i use for my homebuild NAS. Here is a list of important things for me regarding this NAS build and below compontents which i need to help with while choosing:

- as low power consumption as possible
- I don't care about noise
- Intel processor 3220T already choosen and socket 1155 MOBO
- as much stuff in NAS with passive cooling due to lower energy consumption
- Windows Server 2008 or later
- System (Win) on SSD, the rest on SATA drives
- DLNA support
- 1GB LAN
- streaming of 1080p content
- music streaming
- huge movies and music library backup
- backup of all home PC's and notebooks - at the moment 2
- as much SATA slots aspossible
- no graphic card needed
- no optical drive needed
- solution for at least 3-5 years so i don't need to invest soon

Having almost no clue about RAID possibilities i would like to ask you which components would be the best, i don't want cheap solution but also highend is not my target. Something in between, very good quality, reliability, etc:

- Motherboard socket 1155 - what type and brand?
- SSD harddrive - capacity? Brand? Type? OZC, Samsung, Intel, A-Data, Corssair?
- Processor heatsink - is it smart to cool processor with passive heatsink? If so, which should i buy? If not, which active heatsinc?
- RAM - what brand and timing and what GB? 4+4 or 8+8 or?
- HDDs - i would like to buy from time to time 2TB HDD, lets say 1 HDD every month so i don't need to invest huge amount of money at once.

I already have:
- big 4U rackmount case http://www.eurocase.cz/index.php?gid=811 and of course rack.
- PSU 650W 82+ Seasonic (don't know exact type)

By the way, what RAID type you recommend to me, considering my needs above mentioned?

Many thanks for your kind help :)
Martin

Seraphin6669

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
The type of Raid to choose depends on your goal. Raid 0 is faster because it reads & writes multiple parts of the data at the same time. With Raid 5, 1 of your disks can go bad and you won't lose data. With Raid 6, you can loose 2 disks and still be able to replace and rebuild your data. There are several more options but those are the most popular and the only ones I'm familiar with.