New mobo/cpu/RAM, old HD

Whitemilk661

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hello, hoping someone can offer some useful insight for my situation.

My old build is completely shot as far as i can tell. I couldn't get it to boot at all. I knew the RAM tested bad when i took it to the shop so i tried to replace it but that didn't solve anything. The last time i was actually able to use it i couldn't perform any tasks because of a lack of memory and now i just won't boot at all. I'm assumed the motherboard was no good anymore because I had multiple USB ports malfunction on multiple occasions in past as well.

anyways, my CPU was a i7-920 1366 and to replace the mother board was $300 from new egg since it's pretty dated atm, so I decided to upgrade to a core i5-3570 1155 and the ASRock z77 extreme4 mobo

Now my question is... after i put it all together can i use my old HD which is a (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284) and simply reinstall windows 7 with no problems? I realize I will presumably lose everything on the HD but there isn't anything on there that cannot be reinstalled/replaced so it isn't too big of a deal to me, my main concern here is ensuring all the hardware will function properly and I won't have any problems in the future.

If you need more information feel free to ask. thanks

ryanhmusic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009

If you have a way to save the information from the drive off to an external that would be nice and easy...if not, for 70$ you could grab a new 1TB HDD to do so with.

But barring that, regardless, yes, the new hardware will work with that HDD so long as you format and reinstall the OS.

Best,
Ryan