Computer boots then shuts down!?!

snow0770

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hello, my computer shuts down after only a few seconds of booting up. It just shuts down like i pulled the plug.
After a bunch of trouble shooting ( I took basically everything that was not stock out of the computer) I found out that the computer seems to run fine with stock components in it (including the original PSU). So i put everything back but the PSU and GPU. It worked... So my question is, what seems like the problem. The GPU or the PSU?

The PSU is one month old but i got it really cheep on amazon.
(PSU : Logisys PS550E12BK 550W)

The GPU is also 1 month old. It is a old model of graphics card but I got it new and for cheep. (Never had a problem such as overheating or things like that).

(Graphics Card :Radeon HD 2900 GT)

Thank you for your time and help!

edtheguy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
While it could be either, it is most likely the PSU. The easy way to check is to put the new GPU back in, leave the stock PSU (if it has enough power to run the GPU) and if it still works, you have your answer.

If that's not an option you'll have to try replacing the new parts one at a time, and I would definitely start with the PSU. Always stick to quality PSU's like seasonic, pc power, corsair, etc. Low quality PSU's are the most common reason for failure in pcs (though not the only reason by far).

snow0770

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you very much for your reply, the current PSU only has 250w witch is not enough juice.

I just bought this psu: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027)

Is it any good?