MB/CPU/HDD dysfunction all around.

darkbooton

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Ok all.

I have a “old” computer. Q9550 2.83 on a Zotac 780i Supreme MB.
So when I built the computer , ran fine with one quirk, MB always reported the chip as running at 2.67 and when I OC’d I could get it to “2.83”. Even Cpuz gave weird readings. So I say to myself, reset the bios, that will get the MB to report the correct Mhz, still shows 2.67. I reset again…… Then computer starts to load extremely slowly, boot time in the 3-4 minute range.

Once booted, Internet taking 2-3 minutes. Even when running, CPU is at 100%. Go through whole gambit of virus check/Malewarebyte/spybot, nothing. Yes I know if it is not broken….

So I had stumbled across a good deal on newegg, 2 300GB raptors for less than price of one. Figure if re-configuring might as well throw them in and reload windows. Old drives been in RAID O for about 5 years.

Attempt to rebuild RAID 0, bios says RAID built. Goto install windows, system does not recognize DVD drive with win 7 but will with XP? I plug in external DVD and it will not recognize win 7? But will take XP. So I figure install XP then overwrite with WIN 7. I attempt this but refuses to install win7, partial load of xp is blocking install of 7.

I do have a floppy drive (yes im old school) to put in drive wiper program, now floppy not recognized in bios. All this and suddenly pops up “no drives” I go back into bios, there is raid config, both drives recognized. I try again, same deal no drives detected. Try a third time but now DVD is suddenly (in BIOS) IDE Master) Along the way, anther error pops up “insert system disk” This was an error that I remembered in the XP days, that was the hint to unplug the floppy…
Reset once again, all kinds of errors popping up concerning no drives, no cables……I recheck every single connection, all good. Go back into BIOS, now no drives showing up, not even floppy.

So I put back everything as it was. I have reseated every connection and card for general purpose.

Why am I going through all this? Will be building new “puter” soon and want to convert this into HTPC, and wife has “authorized me to spend and build again. That quad has more than enough horsepower to do the job, has been a strong chip, only mildy OC’d coupled with a 9800GT, has ran everything I have thrown at it.
Does any of this make sense?

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
The one thing that catches my attiontion: I've had problems putting 7 on older rigs. Sometimes, disabling the floppy in bios fixes it. If you need to wipe the drives, use an ubuntu live CD and use ubuntu's disk manager or gparted.

darkbooton

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

I see what you are saying. I have tried disabling the floppy with no luck on error messages. I will try the ubuntu CD though. I have Hirens cd downloaded and will try that as well. Just frustrating that resetting the CMOS caused all these issues.