New Build, OS install issues

boxley

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Just built a computer yesterday and am having extreme difficulty getting an OS to install properly.

Windows 8 x64 kept hanging during install. Got it to install once but would not consistently boot into it, and when it did load it was extremely slow and for some reason had the windows version and build number in the bottom corner of the desktop as it did in the beta version. This was a direct download from Microsoft btw. I also tried a fresh download and burn of the OS just in case.

Windows 7 x64 install hung at 0%

Am currently working on installing Ubuntu as a temporary fix, just to get it running.

I have tried new RAM and it did not change anything. I still think it is hardware related. HDD? Cabling? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my build if it helps:
Intel Core i5-2500K
Asrock Z75 Pro3
8GB (4gb x2) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition
Raidmax RX-530ss Power Supply
LG DVD
Rosewill RNX-N150pce

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
hmm, i have few questions 1st...
how much time did you wait?
no errors was given at all?
what did you use to burn the iso?
what speed did you burn the iso?

its not hardware related problem unless the installation tells you that with an error message.

boxley

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

The one time it did install I let it run overnight. Once I was in the OS, performace was lagging terribly. Outside of that, I generally gave it an hour of no progress before abandoning the install.

Burn speed of 3x, but have had best success so far using flash drives

No errors were given when it would hang on install. After initial successful install referred to above, it had issues booting into the OS again and was unable to repair using the boot disk.

The boot disks and flash drive were vreated using Microsoft's windows 8 installer. The same program I used to download the OS.

As an aside, I did manage to install Ubuntu without issue, though even there Firefox and other apps were slow to respond or not responding, but I'm not experienced enough to say whether one thing has to do with the other.

boxley

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

After 3 hours I got Windows 8 back on, and one click later received this error message:

"explorer.exe

the instruction at 0x000007FEC172B07B referenced memory at 0x000007FEADE99A0. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185. Click OK to terminate the program"

After clicking okay it changed to a Windows 8 colored, purple blank screen and is doing nothing.

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
so you have this on win7 and win8.. and that one weird I/O error is just weird :/

double check on your HDD cables, and scan for bad sectors, and on hardware component... other than that am thinking of bad/corrupted iso.

boxley

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

It was a bad HDD. Error code pointed to failing hard drives all over google. Swapped it for a new one and up and running in no time. I might get around to scanning it and see if it's salvageable, but first now I'm off to game! Thanks very much for the help!