Asus Releases Ultra-Slim External DVD Writer for Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]I wonder if it's slower than 24x CD RPM speed that the regular laptop form factor internal and external drives are.[/citation]
Most of these laptop drives have power limits, so yeah, I bet that will be the speed.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Most of these laptop drives have power limits, so yeah, I bet that will be the speed.[/citation]
Usually it's vibration that's the limiting factor. 24x CD-ROM is around 4500RPM. 52x is around 10,400RPM.
24x CD, 8xDVD ?xbluray USB 2.0 (with 2 USB2 port plugs) ROM drives exist so then with USB3 they have twice the power to work with if they still have a cable that plugs into 2 ports.
But I have seen no laptop form factor optical drives that are more than 24x so it's not a power problem but vibration and disk stress problem.

So with this super duper slim drive, they might have to keep the RPMs even lower because they can't dampen the vibration as well as they can with the thicker drives.

I buy that for sure. My slim slot load drives(LITEON, one is SONY and it is much smarter at lowering its speed for DVDs/CDs) even at the same speed are MUCH louder and vibrate more then my LG desktop drive.
Not much room for any way to balance the thing in such a small drive.

I would still bet saving power is a good thing for a mobile device :)

Status
Not open for further replies.