Seeking Some Good Advice On A Upgrade

Wrecklessrebel

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Well i had this computer built for my buy a guy i did some work for awhile back, I am no computer expert by far but i know enough to be dangerous.

That being said i was looking to upgrade something on my current rig, Maybe the Mobo? Not too sure really. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gpu----sapphire radeon hd 6850, 1gb
mobo---Asus M5A 78l-m lx plus
Psu-----Thermaltake TR2 500w
ram-----Micro Center 8 gb ddr3
cpu------AMD Phenom II x3
os-------windows 7 home 64 bit

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
500 Watt PSU is really only about 460 Watts ( or less), most PSU's are marked at their peak power which is olny for a few seconds of max power avaialble. You have to consider the output power of the 12 volt rail to allow for extreme power requiremnts of the video card, if you burn CD's or DVD's, overclocking, and other devices added externally. Consider at least 650 Watt PSU and a quality brand like Thermaltake or Seasonic.

Seasonic is the best (and most expensive) but even they have admitted that a high end video card draws too much power on the 12 v rail for their 550 watt PSU so your 500 watt PSU is really going to cause you problems especially during high frame rates and heavy gaming sessions.

Wrecklessrebel

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I dont really want to upgrade my gpu right now, ive had this computer for about 7 months or so. And i only play star wars the old republic at the moment so i dont think i need anything alot better than the 6850 for now.

Tenpc your info on the power supply has had me wondering maybe thats why i get fps drops in my games sometimes.

The only reason i was thinkin about the mobo is because with the 6850 i have no room to put a sound card or nething.