Looking for a new case

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I'll be upgrading my PC at some point later this year, but figured I'd go ahead and replace my current case now.

So I'm taking auditions for a new case. Currently, my components rest in a Xion II case. I've been mostly happy with its performance over the years, but it's time to move on.

I'm looking to spend under $120 (preferably more like $70-90). Looks are pretty important. For me, I prefer more of a simple, elegant box. I'm an adult, afterall. I find cases like the HAF and Phantom to be quite hideous and would not want them in my house (part of the reason the Xion II has got to go). An example of a case I find attractive would be the BitFenix Shinobi series (not the XL). I do find Fractal Design R4's to be attractive, but I've been toying with the idea of a digital fan controller (still on the fence).

It's possible that I would have already purchased a Nanoxia DS2 if I could find one anywhere.

I've been finding white cases to be appealing, but would want a matching KBAM.

Just looking for some suggestions and input.

Nothing wrong with a bit of grunt in the case's aesthetic IMO, I quite like my HAF-X :D.

So you want a sleek, elegant look.
The NZXT Switch series, pretty much the whole Corsair range, Fractal Design cases, some Antec ones like the P280 all fit the bill aesthetically.

TBH it already seems you know what you want, both the Shinobi and Design R4 are at your price range and work for you aesthetically.

If your particularly good with tools, you could buy a broken Powermac G5 and mod that to fit standard ATX components.
http://build-its.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/how-to-fit-your-pc-in-power-mac-g5-case.html
That would achieve what your after I think :lol:.

StressMan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ouch. I also find the HAF-X as well as the HAF series to be VERY adult-like, sexy cases.

To add to manofchalk's input, don't forget about Lian Li's line of cases. Mostly elegant, minimalistic designs at friendly prices.

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I like minimalist design. Really just trying to gather more candidates and get opinions on the functionality of the cases I'm looking at or being suggested. The case is going to eventually house an OC'd Haswell and whatever the future equivalent of SLI 670s will be.

The notches on the HAF's make them look cheap to me. The ridge on Phantoms make it look like they're trying too hard. While I know they're great cases, they don't belong in my house.

Unless your doing something unusual like custom water-cooling, any of the aforementioned cases will be fine for your purposes. While interior design is important, just remember that once the builds done, the only thing you will see is the outside of the case.

I know the R4 is widely recommended, and I think its fairly good for what its intended for. Tiny Tom Logan of Overclockers UK is one of the bigger names in tech review circles and he only has endless praise for it.