Upgrading video card to 7870, need help!

hi there, so i've been planning to updgrade to 7870 for quite some time now and after doing some research, i stumbled upon on some problems that i might encounter. BTW this is my first time dealing with a custom rig so please bear the noobness oozing from this post.

This is what i have in my rig right now
CPU: AMD FX 4100 OC'ed to 4.1Ghz with stock cooler
GPU: Powercolor HD 7770 Ghz ed
Board: MSI 880 GMS e41
RAM:GSKILL Ripjaws 8gb
PSU: 600w

i play mostly BF3 and other graphics intensive games with this setup. The upgrade to the 7870 is actually for the upcoming BF4.

here are my concerns

1. Will i bottleneck the 7870 with my cpu?
2. Will i experience any compatibility issues with the 7870 and my board?
3. will my PSU be able to handle the new 7870?

Any answers and explanations to my questions will be greatly appreciated.. also, if there are any things i should be concerned about, i would be very happy if could enlighten me on it.. thanks guys :D
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading video card 7870
  1. Well i have a Sapphire 7870 XT / LE and it is a nice graphic card. I'm not sure if there will be any compatability issues but probably not. I have the same CPU but its just not oc'd so i'm sure it won't bottleneck but if you think it will you can always upgrade CPU first then GPU or do GPU then CPU later on. The PSU should be fine. I am using a XFX 550w and works fine :) I guess this is some help. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this GPU will answer better :) I have only had my GPU for a month and loving it :P
  2. raheel167 said:
    PSU brand?
    Resolution?

PSU: Aerocool strike x, 1366 x 786 resolution
  3. Janny1993UK said:
    Well i have a Sapphire 7870 XT / LE and it is a nice graphic card. I'm not sure if there will be any compatability issues but probably not. I have the same CPU but its just not oc'd so i'm sure it won't bottleneck but if you think it will you can always upgrade CPU first then GPU or do GPU then CPU later on. The PSU should be fine. I am using a XFX 550w and works fine :) I guess this is some help. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this GPU will answer better :) I have only had my GPU for a month and loving it :P

thanks for the info :)
  4. Kelvin Dela Cruz said:
    Janny1993UK said:
    Well i have a Sapphire 7870 XT / LE and it is a nice graphic card. I'm not sure if there will be any compatability issues but probably not. I have the same CPU but its just not oc'd so i'm sure it won't bottleneck but if you think it will you can always upgrade CPU first then GPU or do GPU then CPU later on. The PSU should be fine. I am using a XFX 550w and works fine :) I guess this is some help. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this GPU will answer better :) I have only had my GPU for a month and loving it :P

thanks for the info :)

No Problem
  5. now relize this is a year old....
Ask a new question

Read More

upgrade Bottleneck 7870 Graphics Cards 4100 Graphics