My computer won't turn on.

Wy479

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Well I was inthe middle of installing the sims: unleashed on the computer when about halfway it appeared it had turned off. Looking closer i noticed that the green on light was solid. But the red light next to it was solid on too when normally t only flashes. Panicking, I quickly turned it off.
I have tried three different power cords, Everytime it turns on, (Only the red light) Then wihin a few seconds turns back off. I asked my friend and he told me to take the power cord out and leaving it for ten minutes without power. When it was over, I turned it back on and this time the fans were spinning.. But only the red light was off, Confused I turned it off again. I know power is getting through to it because ever since i got this pc off my neighbour, Whenever the comps power is off, but its etting power my iphone pops up that its being charged.
My neighbour got this pc off her friend that built it for her.
System Specs -
Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional. Service Pack 3
32 Bit (x86)
Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHZ 2.68GHZ.
1.5GB Of Ram. (1.2GB Free)
37.2GB Hard drive (26.9GB free.)
Video Card - Radeon 9200 SE Family.
Motherboard - Gigabyte_P4_Triton
I will take pictures when im able to.
Any help would be appreciated.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
More than likely the power supply is dead. Either that or the motherboard. Or something else. Just because there is enough power to charge a phone doesn't mean it is working well enough to power the entire computer.

Since it's a pentium 4, there really isn't alot to do about it, because it is essentially totaled. Meaning that to fix it would cost more than it is worth.

You should probably trawl craigslist or something for some cheap dual cores. I'd offer to sell you one I have available, but I'm pretty sure that sort of thing is frowned upon.

Wy479

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Oh my fucking god.
DirectX wouldnt cause something like this. Plus I cant even turn it on so how do you expect me to install directx 9 onit.
Thanks false for ur answer! People on the last forum I went on said it was the graphics card... Anyways. How do i tell i its the processor?
The reason why I'd like to know is bcuz id like to strip it for parts and put it into a old dimension 2350 I have.. Especially the processor (Which is a crappy celeron) Sorry for my answer mods but.. Sometimes i do get really pissed off at people just wanting a post count

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You need Directx 9c to be installed.

Edit - OOPS, that answer was for a different Question, i had about 7 tabs opened at the time. I'm not looking for post counts, didn't really think TH had them that made any difference.

Remove all your usb devices (including the mouse) except the keyboard and see if the PC boots up and if so, consider disabling the phone charging option in the bios, attach the usb mouse and see if the Pc boots up.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
You literally have nothing to lose by just trying to do that. I can tell you that 99% of the time the one thing that won't be the problem is the CPU itself. It could be nearly everything else but the hard drive, because it doesn't need that to boot.

If it's the ram or graphics card and you can use them in the other you'll find out because it suddenly will not boot. I'd add one thing at a time and then boot the 2350 and use it for a bit. As long as the CPU is compatible, it should just work.

Wy479

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
@Tenpc I am sorry, its just i go agro sometimes whenthere are pointless answers on a thread. Also, all im doing is plugging in the power cord. Whenever i plug in my mouse, (Like my phone) It glows as if the pc is on. Ram wouldnt be allowed as the max is one gb
Processor would though, Would I need to re apply thermal paste?
Im not too sure bout the graphics card though, Never did trust the thing.
Also the mouse is a old thing, not a usb mouse.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
No mention of the PSU, it's probably less than 350 watts, the phone charging might be drawing too much of the 5 v rail that might not actually have the adequate power and is then drawing extra power from the 12 volt rail to recharge the phone causing the PSU to overload on SU rails.

It's never been a good idea to recharge your mp3 player or a recent phone on an older PC with XP whether it be in standby mode, sleep or hibernation or even when the PC is in use.

How long did it take for the phone to recharge?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Do't worry about yelling at me, I've been wrong before (quite often) and do expect negative replies in response to my suggestions. It's good because it makes me thinker harder, better, and also shows whether you are actually paying attention. :)

Wy479

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
It doesnt charge at all. But the iphone says its charging.
No matter if i only have the power cord plugged in, it still turns off.
Hey i just found something else. At the back there are two power supplies.
One is the normal one wih the metal thingies out but the other one looks like the plug. Ive only actually needed to use one.. But I dont even have a core to test the other out.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
"Remove all your usb devices (including the mouse) except the keyboard and see if the PC boots up and if so, consider disabling the phone charging option in the bios, attach the usb mouse and see if the Pc boots up. " Do this deed and then see if anything hapopens.

If the phone is not charging then the current from the usb port is not adequate for the phone, even if the message says "recharging". Actually, you could end up wrecking your phone by using a power source less (or more than) than the the requirement.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
So, what is the PSU? Brand? Model number? Is it an ?AT or ATX type?

The AT type (only a 20 pin power connector and 4-pin surplus connector) had more amps on the 5v rail whereas more emphasis was put on the ATX type for the 12 v rail to allow for more hardware that required extra power in more recent PC's, well recent meanng being later than 2004 or later.

It might be that you are using an ATX type PSU which is not meant to be used with most P4 motherboards even though they (PSU) are backwards compatible with an adapter cable to convert from 24 pin to 20pin connection (I got one but feel uneasy about using it on an older motherboard.).

What is the motherboard serial number type?
For example - gigabyte triton gn 400 pro2