Should I get Windows 7 or Windows 8 on my gaming PC?

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
In around 5 weeks time I'll be building a PC for gaming : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LTIK

Now, i'm undecided to get windows 7 or windows 8 because I have heard that the next DirectX update will only be available on windows 8? Also there are free tools that make it look like windows 7, because I hate win 8.

Should I get windows 8 for my gaming PC considering win 7 might be obsolete with the next update for DirectX?

Thanks, Rage

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Ok, I might get Win 7, but what if more DirectXs come out that are only combatible with win 8 which are in modern games?

But about that build, I don't really like the look of the Mobo and the PSU, the mobo is only £2 cheaper, and I like the Asrock one better, if you can give reasons for your choice, then maybe I'd consider it.

Also, I donn't think that's enough power in the PSU, I like to go a bit more than is necessary in case of expanding on the build.

And about the GPU, why the gigabyte, is it better, because if not I'd be more than willing to spend an extra £10, I will have about £1050 in May for the build. I also heard samsung make better SSDs.

So if you explain everything you changed it would be helpful.

Thanks

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Windows 7 64bit is the way to go, I have windows 8 I know this from experience, it is the most buggy un-intuitive annoying bad incompatible operating system I've ever used. That about sums up my windows 8 experience, it is simply not worth it, there a lot of compatibility issues and most programs take a large time investment to get to work. Many programs still are not even compatible with windows 8. The metro interface is a pain in the but and if you like having a desktop DO NOT GET WINDOWS 8. It is a plague.

-the odds are that its going to be the next windows that supports dx12
-asus is much better. asrock cheaps out on parts that you cant really see like the v-reg
-its enough. you can still load it with a couple hard drives and it will run fine
-gigabyte is dual slot and runs just as well as the asus. also puts less strain on your pci slot as the asus is a huge block of aluminum
-the 840 pro is the best. the 840 non pro is pretty low level. the sandisk is a better choice

its bad but then you can easily get rid of the chessy interface by using ex7forwin8

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Ok, so i'll go for win 7.

I changed the case to a phantom 410, because I want the gaming look :)

Also, now you've explained I think i'll get the different parts. But it does say that some compatibilities with the CPU cooler, case and RAM is not supported :/

And the PSU - if I wanted to have another video card with crossfire, would it support it because I don't want to have to spend another £60 on a better PSU.

Thanks a lot

sorry didnt see that

-the r4 is much more superior on the inside. your choice
-there shouldnt be any problem with i picked out
-if you were going to do crossfire in the future, 650w was never enough in the first place. you will want the 750w model

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Oh, well I wasn't going to do cross-fire anyway. Ok so i'll go with the one you chose, but it's a shame it isn't modular :(

And the case, the R4 just doesn't look good, and I've heard positive reviews about the Phantom 410, plus it looks awesome, so i'll stick with that.

Thanks for your time, it's just I can spend extra £30 on something that will perform better, if it's unnecessary than fine; I can spend it on a powerline internet connecter, magnetic screwdriver and thermal paste + anti-static bracelet and maybe some games. If it is then i'll be happy to spend more

where i live barely has any static at all and the fact that i can just discharge myself by touching the steel case panel before handling stuff makes me have no use for the wristband.

it might be useful for some but in general, i dont see much of a point of using one

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I think I'll buy one just in case.. And someone else is saying another old thread I started that asrock for the mobo is better...? Why is the gigabyte one better in your opinion?

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
the best option for a gaming rig of course is windows 7!windows 8 are not really prepared for every game!in my opinion home premium is the best choice!

first of all, fix your grammar. second, your game probably doesnt work because xp doesnt support the directx, but then the only difference in dx in windows 7 and 8 is that windows 8 supports the newer dx 11.1 (which is useless).

so tell me, what games that are well known that dont work on windows 8

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, because i have to fix EVERY game before I plan to use it on windows 8... no, it's not fine I prefer gaming on linux to this madness.

yep i am using win 8 pro and it is really fast as compared to win 7.no game has problem with at all if you have original game(not pirated).in gaming win 7 and win 8 have same performance.

if windows is being so bad then why tom use windows8 in his bench?

in future coming up years when dx11.1 games will come then everyone has switch to win 8 to run that games!lol