Introducing the New Follow Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there friends!

We've now launched a beta for the cool new Follow feature that will eventually be a major part of the new customizable forum homepage. This timeline feature will show you all the articles and forum threads you've followed as your interests, and make it much easier to review subjects that you read and interact with on a more frequent basis.

Ggf9rmx.jpg

The Follow feature remembers your filters, and you can use it to follow new topics and tags with ease, and it will be especially a help for those of you who are industrious badge hunters. Tags in the Follow feature are a great way for being able to see cross-categories and aggregate content to a one-stop area for browsing.

You can access it now live from the "My followed tags" link near your profile link in the upper-right hand corner of the forum page, as well as directly at this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/follow/

We'd like to continue receiving your constructive feedback on it here, and open things up to questions and comments. We appreciate any feedback you have for us on this exciting new feature. :)

-JP

randomizer

Champion
2 points after taking a quick look at it:

1. It would be useful to have the "Find a tag" box on the tag management page as well.
2. If you filter by "New answer" then it would be good if it only showed one result for any given thread. If the thread is very active, it will show many results and drown out everything else. Perhaps just show the most recent new answer, or perhaps the first unread new answer.

Here's an example of the issue I was describing. Note that this isn't an extremely highly active thread itself, but it's much more active than other threads with the selected tags:

timeline_zpsc4a44657.png

I took a look so as to keep an open mind, its not loading for me though. To be honest the Tags hold zero interest for me and its something I don't see myself using at all.

I tend to search forum headings and look down for subjects that I have knowledge in and have limited answers.
I have searched the forum this way for many years now and don't see anything changing.

Mac :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
2. If you filter by "New answer" then it would be good if it only showed one result for any given thread. If the thread is very active, it will show many results and drown out everything else. Perhaps just show the most recent new answer, or perhaps the first unread new answer.

Showing the latest, most relevant content is what we have in mind with this. The devs haven't concluded between the Last Read Answer / Last Answer, so they are looking for more feedback before making that determination.

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Hey there Y0GI,

Are you still having the problem ? I used to, last monday, but it came back today.

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey there Yogi,

I really can't reproduce any issue with the Timeline (Windows 7 / Firefox latest version). What I experienced last monday was a constantly loading, until the "pending" icons froze.

Would you mind providing me with :
- The URL you're experiencing the issue on
- A screenshot of what you see
- Your browser / OS & versions
- If you use Firebug, the detail of the ajax call, especially if it's an error (starts with GET http://www.tomshardware.com/follow/timeline/ajaw/?activity? ... )

THanks for your help !

Additionnaly, should you have any feedback about "How can I make your timeline better ?", feel free to let me know, I'm interested :)

Gzav

"Hey there Yogi,

I really can't reproduce any issue with the Timeline (Windows 7 / Firefox latest version). What I experienced last monday was a constantly loading, until the "pending" icons froze.

Would you mind providing me with :
- The URL you're experiencing the issue on
- A screenshot of what you see
- Your browser / OS & versions
- If you use Firebug, the detail of the ajax call, especially if it's an error (starts with GET http://www.tomshardware.com/follow/timeline/ajaw/?activ... ... )

THanks for your help !

Additionnaly, should you have any feedback about "How can I make your timeline better ?", feel free to let me know, I'm interested :)

Gzav

Thank you for your help on this problem, Gzav!

URL: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

I would normally embed an image of the screenshot in my post but for some reason, in both IE8 and Firefox 26, the Icon Toolbar at the top of the reply window is not appearing. Here is a link to the screenshot: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg267/acyogi/Computers/Toms%20Hardware/Timeline.jpg

I am using Win 7 SP1, Most of the problems are with Firefox v. 26.0. I am able to see My Timeline in IE 8 though.

I'm not familiar with Firebug and as far as I know, I am not using it.

Thanks again!

Yogi

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey there Yogi,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I have been trying on many computers, with different browsers, and really, couldn't reproduce. You might probably have done it already, but did you empty your cache?
Is the "loading" icon moving ? Is it stuck ? Is it not appearing ? Do you use any Firefox plugins / extensions? (such as ghostery for example)

Let me know :)

Thanks

Gzav

I disabled all plug-ins, changed extensions to "Ask" and emptied the cache. Restarted Firefox. One of those items fixed it! Timeline is now working in both Firefox and IE. I feel that it was emptying the cache that did it.

Thank you, Gzav!

Yogi

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey Y0GI,

Please let ME thank you. Seems your issue comes from tutorials in the timeline. They sometimes make the service return a server error, leaving the timeline empty.

Gzav

Hey Y0GI,

Please let ME thank you. Seems your issue comes from tutorials in the timeline. They sometimes make the service return a server error, leaving the timeline empty.

Gzav

You're quite welcome, Gzav! Glad that raising my issue helped in some small way.

Yogi

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Hey EasyLover,

The list of tags you follow are displayed above your timeline.
Clic on one tag (de)activates it. A black button means it's active. Greyed out means it isn't.

Hope this helped.

Gzav

That would mean live feed of only one tag at a time can be view/available?

When I select all tags and activate them, I get this message

Your timeline is empty ! Follow tags to build your timeline and see articles and threads corresponding to your interests.

It would be much better if tag feeds interface is built like the interface we get in our Tracked Threads.

Gzav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hey again EasyLover,

I'm wondering if you didn't deactivate them all instead of activating them all ?
What do you mean precisely with "built like the interface we get in our tracked threads" ?

Gzav

In my case, I'm getting feeds of only two tags a time. If I activate more than two, it gives me the message:

Your timeline is empty ! Follow tags to build your timeline and see articles and threads corresponding to your interests.

Would it not be better interface if Timeline Tags page shows exactly the similar interface like one gets in his Tracked Thread area in which There are three columns per row: Thread, Replies (Total count, Last activity time with concern user id)

Would it not be better interface if Timeline Tags page shows exactly the similar interface like one gets in his Tracked Thread area in which There are three columns per row: Thread, Replies (Total count, Last activity time with concern user id)

I agree. I feel that it would be easier to read the status of Timeline threads if there were columns, as with Tracked Threads.

Yogi

Status
Not open for further replies.