Windows 7 OEM question

Murp0787

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013
Hello everyone.

I just ordered parts to build a PC and am going to build and install all the PC components myself. I need to order Windows 7 64 bit and I was looking at the OEM version. I just had a couple of questions about this version.

I can use it right since I'm building my own PC?

It says that it can't be used on any other PC except the one it's installed on.. does this mean I can't upgrade the computer or any components? I'm going to install it on a 500GB hard drive and a certain video card, but would be upgrading both of those hardware components within the next month or two.. will that cause issues for the OEM version or will it still work ok?

If I were to need to reformat/reinstall Windows would it still work ok or would there be issues since it can only be on one computer (I know the computers not technically changing but I don't know if it will let me reenter the license again).

Sorry if these are newbie type questions but it would help me to know if this version will work for me.

Thanks.

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
The licensing purists would say that you can't use it as you're not building the system for resale, however it really isn't an issue and MS aren't that bothered. Please be aware that the OEM version is not supported by MS so if you have any installation or operational issues you'll be on your own.

Windows 7 OEM locks to the motherboard it is fisrt installed on, you can upgrade any part of you PC except the motherboard, doing so will mean you have to pay Mr Ballmer the MS upgrade tax and purchase Windows again (blatant piece of profiteering by M$).

As far as reinstalling goes, you will be fine as long as it is only reinstalled on the original computer, you cannot transfer it to another. This restriction has been lifted in Windows 8 if that is of interest to you.